Maraged steel?

I ran across some of this in a scrap pile. What is maraged steel m300? What would be a good use for it. I have a piece about 1" dia x 48" long. Can it be heat treated?

Reply to
Paul J Shelc

It has been heat treated. Heat treating it again would make it something else.

Maraged Steel - A high-nickel-content, low-carbon steel that is heated to 1500F (822C), air-cooled, and then aged at 900F (486C). Maraged steel is generally considered a superalloy.

Reply to
John Ings

I worked in a aircraft testing facility and I never tested any metal any stronger than maraging steel. It is much stronger than titanium (180,000 psi tensile). I have seen maraging steel as high as 350,000 psi. the material you have is 300,000. Dixon

the material

Reply to
Dixon