Math question

Not with a curved bottom.....

GUNNER'S PRAYER: "God grant me the serenity to accept the people that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference. And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Because what you wanted was Simpson's rule.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I took four widths, averaged them, and multiplied by the length.

Close enough for this job.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

right track to

Never too late to get smart, Wes!

:)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

'scues me. John, but they are the same thing!

Reply to
cavelamb

SteveB? Would this have helped at all????

cavelamb

Rich Grise fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

Rich! Bull! That's _exactly_ what a planimeter does for a living!

C'mon... this isn't like most of your posts.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com fired this volley in news:656dee88-c74d-4919-a95a- snipped-for-privacy@g6g2000vbr.googlegroups.com:

WRONG! Check out what planimeters do! (geeesh!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

cavelamb fired this volley in news:ntidneL1Y8sgn1DXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

NOOOOOO! It's easy. Use a planimeter or a soft simulation of one!

ARRGH!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A minor exception offered here...

A planimeter measures AREA by tracing around the object.

It doesn't use the perimeter measurement, just it's shape.

Is that important?

A circle, with diameter of 1 has a C of 3.14159 thingies.

It also has an area of 0.786475 square thingies (A = Pi R^2).

C = 3.14159 A = 0.786475

A SQUARE with the same area would have sides of length equal to the square root of the area of the circle.

Sqrt(0.786475) = 0.886834257

Sum of four sides that length (perimeter of the square) is 3.547337029.

NOT 3.14159

Conclusion: The circumference of a square and a circle of equal area is NOT the same.

So I don't think having the perimeter length is not going to solve the OP's area question.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

cavelamb fired this volley in news:3- KdnZZrnJ2lpVDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Yeah... but I already suggested the polygon solution, then gave him a soft-planimeter he could PLOT the pool into and get the area, then a third clue about area calculators in CAD software.

All these folks are spouting off about how hard it is, when it's just DEAD-EASY.

The closest-to-right guys are the ones who say cut out a photo and weigh it. (then cut out a circle or square of the same scale, and weigh it). But a soft planimeter does the same trick without carving anything up.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ok, I see what you are saying. No real argument there.

Reply to
cavelamb

A photo taken from - where? Even standing on top of the house the photo will have really noticeable foreshortening, which will distort the area of the photo and calculations. Probably be as accurate as what he finally did - though.

BEST solution!

Get a couple of pieces of 2" steel tube and build a huge planimeter. (METAL WORKING - ON TOPIC!) Then the area can be measured directly.

Reply to
cavelamb

Sort of. Calculus takes the trigonometric solution, which you can do with paper and pencil, one step further by taking the width of your segments to zero, or actually, betwen zero and infinity.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

"cavelamb" wrote

Airplane flying around Las Vegas, don't know the altitude.

Go to

Hit Go to Open Web ....... on top

Hit Cross Streets

Enter Decatur in field 1

Enter Alta in field 2

hit submit

Hit the brown Decatur/Alta box

On the left hit the unchecked Show Aerial Photo box so it has a green check

Hit the Lrg circle so it has a green check

Hit draw selection

You can now roam around Las Vegas by air, using cross streets by going back to Cross Streets on the upper left and entering different cross streets. Or look up a friend or relative's information about their house or property, even past owners.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I Googled planimeter, and came up with

It is as plain as the nose on one's face, but I'll just continue my own ways of estimating.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hmmm, possible.

Or Google maps - satellite view?

Reply to
cavelamb

They are taken from satellite, and don't show the smaller details unless you pay for a really high definition site. Google World has ways to measure distances, but this is fine for the work we do in real estate. A real work saver.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

But that's already been suggested. Steve wants to measure the perimeter, square it, multiply it by a constant, and get the area.

But every possible shape has it's own constant, so he's out of luck.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Measure the perimeter, square the measurement, and multiply it by the perimeter-to-area constant for the shape in question. For a square pool the constant is 1/16, for a circular pool the constant is 1/(4*pi), for an infinitely skinny pool the constant is 0. For your pool you'll have to consult an appropriate handbook, or calculate it.

To find the correct constant for the shape of your pool, first calculate it's surface area, then divide that area by the perimeter squared. Then you'll have the correct constant, and you can calculate your pool surface area -- or the surface area of any other pool with an exactly similar shape -- just by knowing the perimeter.

Reply to
Tim Wescott