Math question

If you only drain a few drums from the pool, the bottom stays full and thus has no bearing on the calculation (assuming that the sides are parallel).

Reply to
rangerssuck

88.17

Clever. It would be easier still to *add* 55 gallons.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It would be nice if you'd quote the post you're responding to so that other people would know what the heck you're talking about...

Reply to
Doug Miller

he was responding to my post.

Reply to
Ignoramus19678

You don't bail the water out of the bottom of the pool, you bail it out of the top :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

So did I - and for a swimming pool, wouldn't that need one BIG HONKING planimeter?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Which was a simplified version of mine. Hrump...

Reply to
cavelamb

Rich Grise fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

No..... one can do it from an aerial photo. And FWIW, even a BIG HONKING planimeter is easy to make, easy to salvage afterwards.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Some of us prefer to limit the number of visible posts to less than a few tens of thousands in any group. That means that we may well not display read posts. relevant quoting is considered polite behaviour.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mine does that. The problem is that I'd apparently already read the post you replied to, and so it had disappeared before I got to yours.

Be aware, also, that *nothing* in the NNTP protocol guarantees that posts will arrive at any particular news server in anything even faintly resembling the sequence in which they were generated -- or, indeed, that they will arrive at all.

In short, you cannot assume that the post you're replying to will be available for reading by *anyone*, no matter what client software they're using. That's why it's best practice to quote the relevant portion(s) of anything you reply to.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, it integrates surface area while measuring BOTH perimeter and angle traveled from a single point, simultaneously. That makes a big difference, although I still don't know exactly how they work. But, they require you to stick a pin in the paper at one point and not move it until you've traced the entire perimeter.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:15:26 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Fill a 55 gallon drum with water and seal it. Roll it into the pool. Repeat until you can measure an increase in water level. Estimate the volume of the barrels.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Or a nice aerial or satellite view from directly overhead and a measurement between two known locations to calculate a scale factor. Find the view, print it out, measure the distance between the two known locations on the printout and the real world, then run the planimeter around it and calculate the full scale area from the indicated area and the scale factor.

I've got a nice old planimeter which I bought at a hamfest about ten or fifteen years ago.

How much accuracy is needed for this project?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Regardless, Iggi's solution is the common place implementation of Simpson's Rule. Marine Architects and Naval Engineer's know it, and French Curves, well.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Of course. Analog or digital, you still have to set one of the bounds as a fixed point. The other can be varied to suit, but not both.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Not that much, apparently.

SteveB's (OP) solution was to measure across the pool in several places, average the widths and multiply by the length.

Close enough for non-financial government work.

Reply to
cavelamb

right track to

Periodically, I pick up a text book, periodically I set it back down. Seriously, if I wasn't a wage slave and was part of the idle rich, I'd be in some college learning it.

Fwiw, I was pretty good solving trigonometric identities 15 years ago when I attended a local college for a while. Only got a 3.5 in Trig but I was prouder of the 3.5 than the

4.0 in college algebra.

The gentlemen that taught the trig class, was a definite nerd, horn rimmed glasses, trousers belted high but he was a good teacher, also head of the mathemetics department.

He mentioned he did his calculus problems as a student in ink ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

right track to

department.

There are many ways to study things.

cavelamb
.

Ummm. How else does one do calculus problems then?

Expiring minds need to know :-)

Mark Rand(suddenly feeling old) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark Rand fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

hey! That's of MY sigs... and an original one, by me, for me! ('cept, it's "Expiring minds WANT to know!")

LLoyd

----------------- Cole's Axiom -- the total intelligence of the planet is constant. The population is increasing exponentially.

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh