Maxair compressors

Looking at this compressor for fairly light usage:

but I can't find any reviews. Sold by Home Depot (US), TSC in Canada, etc.

Any info on reliability? Lots of people seem to have problems with low-end compressors. I don't want to spend the extra $$ for IR, Quincy or even (gulp) RK (nice stuff). I figure on getting a single stage and an air amplifier for when I occasionally need 200psi.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My guess is that it will be fine.

Ignoramus17625

So where's the pump made, is it all iron, sleeved alloy or just plated aluminum? Where was the motor made? Never heard of the brand, so probably just another vendor of the same chink stuff everyone else sells. How good is your local retailer with returns and parts? Support is what you're looking for in this case. It's a little big to be looked at as a disposable unit. TSC has been fairly good with support on the stuff they sell, HD, "support, what's that?".

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Exactly. If you go to the local HD, you will find the floor model compressors are missing pieces. You may ask why. Because people steal them, even if they cost $2, because HD won't provide them. (And how do I know that this is the problem? Because the floor people at HD told me.)

So, the critical test is simply to try to buy a common and essential repair part for something they sold five or ten years ago. I would actually buy the part, just to be sure. Things will clarify quite rapidly then.

The alternative is to plan to replace the entire compressor every five or ten years. Depending on price, this may or may not make sense.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I'll let y'all know when I pick it up on Sunday.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You coulda' had a nice 5hp Kellog on a Dayton 30 gal tank with a slight crack! Damn!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I could buy your Kellogg for $60 if I was local.

Reply to
Ignoramus4461

- Marked "American Assembled"

- Motor is WEG brand, made in Brazil.

- Pump is made in Taiwan (came filled with oil to mid-sight-glass) - they say cast iron cylinders

- Tank is made by these guys:

Liquid filled pressure gauge, nice ball valve.

- Unit (not just motor) is CSA.

Seems a cut above the really low end stuff that chomps up and spits out head gaskets and such like- I'm pleased so far.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany