melting Lead

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show JohnM wrote back on Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:02:11 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

My brother, when he was 12 or so, managed to spill about a quarter pound of lead off the stove and splatter it all over the kitchen floor, and him in cutoffs and bare feet. Not a mark on him.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Well, in the case of salts, those actually cause the melting point to drop (which, since it can no longer be solid at say 20°F, it melts, hence ice melter works; the melting and depression of melting point also causes cooling, hence salted ice for ice cream machines). Same way a little lead makes tin's melting point drop (the lowest melting point of the system is at

336°F IIRC - a far cry from the 450 or 620°F of either constituent).

And as long as I'm dragging on... Things will easily freeze up while you move them -- they might not stick together well though. The motion breaks up bonds between grains of ice (or whatever) as it forms, making a slush. (Heh, take a look at slushy machines!)

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams