Memorizing "straight polarity" in welding and what it means

This is especially applicable to stick welding because of the technique of memorization: the electrode (which is "straight" in appearance since it is
a "straight" rod) is negative and the negative/minus sign is just a "straight line;" hence "straight" etc.
Ian W. Douglas wrote:

Electrons hitting things at high energy is what produces the heat. Because Ben Franklin guessed wrong, the electrons flow toward the + terminal (from minus to plus). So, if the electrode is negative, and the work positive, the electrons are flowing into the work, and depositing most of the heat there. That is straight polarity, with the heat mostly going into the workpiece.
Jon
I find it easier to just remember four letters: straight polarity is DCEN.
I find it easier to use AC :-).
Chris

I have found that the absolute best way to remember polarity is whatever works for YOU. And, you have to weld long and often enough to know the difference. After that, it's just rote.
Steve
I like to keep a clear shop ticket holder attached to the side of my Miller XMT with the settings for Mig, Tig, and SMAW charted for each application.
Tony

Straight polarity is :
SENator
S = straight E = electrode N = negative
Reverse polarity is
REPublican
R = reverse E = electrode P = positive
Remember that the best stick and tig welders are SENators because the REPublicans always get it backwards!