Memorizing "straight polarity" and what it means

This is especially applicable to stick welding because of the technique of
memorization: the electrode (which is "straight" in appearance since it is
a "straight" rod) is negative and the negative/minus sign is just a
"straight line;" hence "straight" etc.
Reply to
Ian W. Douglas
For MIG welding you ask: "Are you using gas?" If the answer is "negative", set electrode negative. Otherwise, set electrode positive.
Reply to
Speechless
Good rule of thumb but there are exceptions. Read the label on the electrode you are going to use. Representative = REP = Reverse [polarity] Electrode Positive Senator = SEN = Straight [polarity] Electrode Negative
Speechless wrote:
Reply to
Robert Ball
Unless the respondent is a dentist, in which case upon a "yes" answer you take their welder away until they're safe to operate power tools again.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
Yes, but the above applies only if you are in the U.S.A. where you might know what Representative or Senator is.
What do you do in the rest of the world? The labels on my electrodes all say: "Made in Turkey. Use DC reserve polarity."
There is no such setting on my American made welder. Now I have to find a welder that is made in Turkey...
Reply to
Speechless
"Speechless" wrote: (clip) The labels on my electrodes all say: "Made in Turkey. Use DC reserve polarity." (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Those welding rods are *diselxic.*
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
For some, there is no hope. I try to remember that they make the rest of us look good, even if we aren't perfect.
Leo Lichtman wrote:
Reply to
Robert Ball