Mercury in UK

Hi guys. This is for folks in UK. Now you are all into metalworking so does anyone want any mercury? I have about 8kg. Free to collector. It's in Oxfordshire. I don't think posting it is an option. This stuff is dead easy to weld but machining it is a challenge. I have had it for about 20 years and haven't found a use for it yet. Any sensible suggestions?

John

Reply to
John Manders

It should be worth some cash at a recycler.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I thought that too but unfortunately not, The ones I have spoken to want to charge me to take it away.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Have you tried freezing it?

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Sell it to a firm that uses mercury (thermometer manufacturers?). M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

Try finding a clockmaker, maybe. Some of the older fancier clocks used mercury in the pendulum bob for temperature compensation.

Reply to
Rich McCarty

First of all, don't give it away without knowing that the recipient will handle it properly. There was a serious incident in the US with kids playing with "found" mercury and spreading it all around the countryside.

Most college chemistry and physics labs still have a need for it, assuming it's relatively clean and pure. That would be the best place.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks for all the suggestions on and off list. I have now found a couple of recipients for it. They are responsible and will handle it appropriately so no worries there. I'm just glad that it is going to a useful home. Regards

John

Reply to
John Manders