metal chasing aesthetics question

For reasons we shall not go into, I ended up with a big pile of antique Arab style coffee pots - now these things are generally hand chased out of brass, and have a very distinctive shape (if you want to see the shape, here's one I'm auctioning on E-bay that will show you what I mean

I have this thing sitting next to me, and I started thinking about someone sitting there in the desert with some brass, a hammer, and a dull chisel, hammering out a coffee pot, and this got me wondering - do you think the rather pronounced pouring spout got that way because there was all that extra brass that had to go somewhere when you chase a flat sheet into a cylinder, and do you think the hour glass shape is somehow related to the shape of the spout, or not.

(no, this isn't a trick to get you to look at my auction, although I suppose I don't mind the publicity, I am actually curious about how one goes about making one of these with very primitive tools)

And, look, REAL METAL WORKING CONTENT - nothing poltical, no insults to anyone's family, and no lawyer jokes.....

Reply to
william_b_noble

If you or a family member were in the AirForce and did tour time in that part of the world, you also probably have at least one camel saddle too....

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will, through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs, Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota). The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability. Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones, of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines." Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Gunner

Greetings:

Some of these are formed around a lead solid; the lead is then melted and poured out leaving the hollow object. The 'Turkish coffeepots' and waterpipes that have intricate chisel marks and stamping patterns are embossed using the lead to back up the hammered tool. Many of these end up shiny inside, since the lead is melted out, then the container is used for brewing. Pb poisioning? I've seen many in the Balkans, some of exquisite quality, but only considered them to be decorative objects, due to the lead.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Jim Brown" wrote back on Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:54:01 +0100 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

They may have had lead in them, but then they get "Tinned". I've watch a couple do it, Copper Alley in Ulus (the old part of Ankara Turkey). As I remember it (thirty plus years later) the procedure is: Heat pan/pot, add tinning compound, swish, swish, the inside is coated, the excess is returned to the pot, the next pot is done. Hey, it may have been a small shop and all hand work, but "time is money" is understood in Turkish and small shops just as readily as the big corporations. :-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich