Metal cutting bandsaw blades

Hello
This is my First post to this group so I hope I am asking in the right
place,
And do excuse me if this question has been raised before.
Can anyone help me locate a source of Metal cutting bandsaw blades in
the UK at a resonable price.
I am looking for length: 1715mm :width 1/2 inch 14TPI .I have a need to
cut some 1/2 thick
aluminium plate any advise on this would be welcome .
Cheers
Ron Priest
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Reply to
ronpriest
A 6TPI hook tooth blade as used for wood will work much better. The 14TPI blade will clog very easily cutting aluminum. Run the saw around 1500-2500 FPM if you can. If the alloy you're cutting is one of the gummier types, some stick wax applied to the blade will prevent the chips sticking to the blade and improve surface finish.
Here in the states most any small city will have a "saw shop" that will weld blades to any length from roll stock. The blade you described would run less than $10.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
I concur on that, I bought some metal cutting blades for my wood saw, but I could only get the speed down to around 700fpm. I found the 6tpi wood blade that came with the saw cut cooler and just as well as the bimetal m42 I got for cutting metal.
Ned Simm> >
Reply to
machineman
I get my blades for the common cheapy bandsaw 4.5" as sold by Machinemart in my case from
but these are 1615mm (5' 4.5"), are you sure yours is 1715mm. Apart from that I have
bookmarked but have not contacted them, I was looking for diamond edged bandsaws at the time. If yours is about 1615mm (5'4.5" ) then you might also look at warco
r>Hello
Reply to
David Billington
Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood from most anywhere its quite a common size but cant seem to find any metal cutting blades this size Ive a job to do which involves cutting some 1/2 alum plate been advised to try 6-10 TPI wood blades however I tried a brand new 14 TPI wood blade last night this lasted for 3 or 4 straight cuts then the cut was like spagetti junction.So i would rather get the tool for the job .The ajustment range is not enough for 1615mm and I can see that this is a common size for metal cutting from your web links. Think I will have to find somewhere that will make half a dozen up for me. Ron
Reply to
ronpriest
I would try
as that seems to be what they do, weld blades to spec. I found them from a search. Also I rechecked the details and the the 5' 4.5" is actually 1640 ish so must have misread somehow.
r>Yes Dave the nominal blade size is 1700mm I can get 1715mm for wood >from most
Reply to
David Billington
Hi Ron, I can recommend Axminster Tools in - yes, Axminster, Devon who make up blades to length & type required. They have a branch in Kent but I think its much smaller, however with the surname Priest I suspect you may be in Cornwall so will use the Devon base. Axminster also welcomes overseas customers according to the catalogue. I get my metalworking bandsaw blades from them after having some trouble with Sealey blades, & their blades seem to last much longer and certainly cost less. Axminster will give you free technical advice (for the cost of the call I guess) on 01297 33656, phone orders on Freefone 0800 371822 or email snipped-for-privacy@axminster.co.uk. Their website is
They will send you a superb tool & machinery catalogue and although their range focusses on the woodworker, they seem to be expanding their metalworking tools section. Regards, Ian
Reply to
Ian
Hello Ian Yes I am very familiar with axminster tools and have an account there but did not realize they made metal cutting blades up to your spec I have recently purchased a lathe and small milling machine from them , and am very happy with them and have always had good service from them in the past. I will mail them and see what they charge. Perhaps the answer is under my nose :-)
Cheers
Ron Priest
Reply to
ronpriest
OH by the way Ian I am in Coventry ,West Midlands
Ron Priest
Reply to
ronpriest
I'd bet a nickel that those 14 tpi blades were jammed right full with overheated aluminum as a result of being unable to clear the chips. Makes for a poor cut.
Have you actually tried the wood blades at wood speeds? Try a 4 or 5 tpi blade running fast and see if it does not work as well for you as it always has for me. Three teeth in the material is a great rule of thumb to use on a gravity fed saw, but with a reasonabble person running the saw (and not ramming the stock into the blade) the coarser pitch works very well indeed. Have you a table saw? They work very well too.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
The problem is with the blade pitch, not the fact that the blade was a wood blade. If you look at one of the blade mfrs (Lenox, Starrett, DoAll, etc.) literature on carbon steel blades, you may find recommendations for sawing different materials based on a blade's tooth form and pitch, but you won't find "wood blades" or "metal blades". It just so happens that the same hook tooth blades that work so well on wood are also very good for aluminum. I use those same 6TPI hook tooth blades for sawing mild steel over 3/4" or so, but at much slower speeds, of course.
14TPI is *way* too fine for 1/2" aluminum. Trevor's remarks are right on the money. If you're running at wood sawing speeds, a 4TPI skip tooth will also work very nicely.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
I would like to thank you all for your input on this topic I will try the 6 TPI hooked tooth blades as soon as I can my cheap hobby bandsaw has only One speed and the cost of bimetal blades is rediculous around 60 usd each in the UK Thankyou again Ron Priest
Reply to
ronpriest
You were Right the 1/2 x 0.25x6 TPI I have just purchased are working Just great on 1/2 Alum will a little parrafin (Kerosine) as lubricant. Thanks for putting me right on that :-)
Ron Priest
Reply to
ronpriest
Hello Ron
Try Coventry University School of Engineering
Reply to
markhewitt552005