Metal dovetails in a bank safe?

Hi folks,

I need a good example of metal dovetail joints for a piece I'm writing. I have a suspicion they were used in some early bank safes, but am struggling to find a picture online. Can anyone confirm this and maybe suggest a manufacturer's name?

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Jim Wilkins

Dovetail (fir tree) joints retaining jet turbine blades:

Jim Wilkins

Am Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2017 23:56:44 UTC+2 schrieb Jim Wilkins:

Let me guess. This thing has two arc-shaped grooves which look like dovetails in cross section and you rotate one part to take it apart?

Now I'll take a look at the video.

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Try wood-cutting "shoulder planes" which are typically metal dovetails joining metal sides and sole around a wooden core, often pretty, and sometimes done in contrasting metals for extra pretty (and making a good visual illustration.)

Reply to
Ecnerwal

MUCH simpler.....

Reply to
Steve W.

No, I think it's machined at a 45-degree angle and slides out.

- If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin. -- Samuel Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Even more fascinating to me than the "Doh, that's how they did it" around 30 seconds in, was machining the round pin head later in the video. Never knew you could free hand metal on a lath just like wood!

Reply to
William Bagwell

He was _good_, wasn't he? That was an amazing portion of the video.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He was using engraver tools. They carve metal normally. Take light cuts...

I have turned metal on my wood lathe. Spun metal on a wood lathe. But I made a ball turning tool for my metal lathe. Made ball pulls. Cut brass and then steel. Used HSS cutter or Carbide. Manual turn and move.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

-jsw