Shop's worst day ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ko5guyzNg

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 22:04:03 -0500, Ignoramus22088
He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.
- If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring
Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,
our Country will stand in Need of its experienced
Patriots to prevent its Ruin. -- Samuel Adams

I agree 100%. It was not even super expensive, just over $500 IIRC. I was just using the crane yesterday.
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 04:26:45 -0500, Ignoramus22088

I'm sure it makes your salvage operation go much, much more smoothly and easily.
- If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring
Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,
our Country will stand in Need of its experienced
Patriots to prevent its Ruin. -- Samuel Adams

Yes, and needing crane means I can ask for a lot more money.
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 21:31:34 -0700, Larry Jaques

Could see it coming though, he was taking load off the little chain falls, the drill wasn't moving, so SOMETHING was taking the extra load - it ended up being the overloaded and deteriorated crane cable - - - -
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:01:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I was watching the spare hoist chains moving and another sling shifting but not yet touching, so I thought it was OK until BAM! It hit the floor. Hearing him lament that "it was such an angle" means that he knew that extra stress was on the device and that it might happen. That's what happens when you don't listen to the little voice inside telling you to be careful or to do something. I think it's the Anti-Murphy Angel, if not your intuition. ;)
--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.

    The Apprentice says "Why didn't that work."
    "I didn't think that was going to work." is the mark of the Master.
    That was what the electrician said after the short in the transformer (220 to 110) knocked him on his butt.
-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:41:48 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Emphasis on "think", I presume? Good man. I've found that working on live 120/240 wires is generally OK as long as you wear (at least one) nitrile gloves. It saves a lot of time and trips if you're careful not to do any arc welding. AAMOF, you can tell the flavor of the voltage by the little squeak you get when poking your finger on one of the cut ends while your arm is grounded. <g>
--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:04:12 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus22088 wrote:

I was just reading a thread on sci.engr.joining.welding (one of those sever al-year-old-recently-resurrected threads) from a guy who didn't exactly kno w what he was doing who was asking about welding a link in a hoist chain. I t scared me some when I read it. Now it scares me more.
Let's be careful out there!
Ignoramus22088 wrote:

Brian was really lucky. BUT go watch the other videos of him wilding that monster back together and drilling holes with it...
--
Steve W.

Ignoramus22088 wrote:

WOW! Lucky the guy wasn't under the drill when it let go! YIKES!
Jon

Yes, I got shivers watching that video...
Ignoramus24945 wrote:

At first, from the title, I thought this was in YOUR shop. Glad it was NOT!
There's a REASON they make you replace crane and elevator cables every year. This guy now KNOWS why.
Jon
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 17:01:36 -0500, Ignoramus24945

Full-body goosebumps, fer sher.
--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.
On Thursday, 27 July 2017 15:01:09 UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:

Even w/o the drill hitting him- if he'd been on the other side and the sheaves thing hit him in the head he'd not be here- that baseball cap would have done nothing.