Metalworking!

I have a project that requires a machining operation that I am puzzling over. This particular piece doesn't require great precision, but I would like to learn and practice an accurate approach to doing this.

I have an aluminum rod, 5/8" in diameter, and 3" long. Each end will be counterbored about 1/8" deep to a diameter of 3/8". I want to mill a flat bottomed groove 1/4" wide from the bottom of the counterbore to the outside on both ends, and (here's the tricky part) I want those two grooves aligned with each other as accurately as possible. Basically, there will be a flat keyhole shaped pocket in each end of the rod, and I want the two keyholes to be vertical.

I can easily mill the groove in one end using a collet block with the rod sticking up vertically. The rod is too short to just flip the block upside down and mill the opposite end with everything aligned. If I take the rod out of the block, I lose the alignment, and the rod is also short enough that I can't really easily reach into the back side of the collet block with an indicator to align the groove. Because the groove is only

1/8" long, I'm not going to get much accuracy that way anyway.

I could mill a reference flat on the rod, but that's an extra step, and if I'm trying to learn here, kind of cheating. I can certainly conceive of applications where that wouldn't be kosher.

While writing this up, it suddenly occured to me that I could probably do both ends with the rod clamped in a Vee block. I should have a Vee block that is short enough to hold the rod with good access to both ends without removing the rod between operations.

Is that the only good way? Any other clever ideas? Any good excuse to buy a new tool?

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Keyseat cutter. Square block , sticking above vise jaws, hole through block horizontally. Set screw to lock.

Reply to
Steve Walker

You mount the rod into a collet and collet block like these

You use one edge of the block to locate your work piece You cut a slot, rotate the block, 180 deg and cut the other slot.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

If you are looking for new toys you could consider a small toolmaker's insert vise to clamp the part with both ends accessible.

The outside of the vise is precision ground to serve as reference surfaces when you clamp it in a larger vise. They are especially handy for milling at the precise angles you can set up with in an angle block kit:

||UserSearch%3Dangle+block&eaprodid=40600%2D57%2D020%2D224

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I guess I wasn't clear enough. There is one slot on each end of the rod, not two slots on one end. I have a collet block, which is fine for cutting one end, but you have to remove the rod to cut the other end, and then you have the problem of aligning the rod to the block so the slots are at identical angles.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:khr603$k36$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks. I actually have the poor man's version, which is a small Palmgren vise I trued up. That would work, but I think the Vee block is still the winner.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I'd put a 1/4" piece of keystock at the bottom of a milling machine vise and flank it with two pieces of 3/16" keystock. Drop in the workpiece in the vise with the 1/4" slot fitting in the middle keystock. You should be able to clamp everything so that the workpiece slot is parallel to the vise jaws. (Upside-down screwdriver) Check for vertical perpendicularity with a machinist square.

Reply to
Denis G.

Put it in a vee block.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Clamp rod in vise small enough that the ends stick out past the jaws (or clamp it down into a vee block to the table) with the long axis aligned with the long dimension of the mill table, and cut across each end with a keyseat cutter. No realignment or repositioning of the rod needed between cuts.

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:khr603$k36$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks. I actually have the poor man's version, which is a small Palmgren vise I trued up. That would work, but I think the Vee block is still the winner.

Doug White

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Remember Al expands on heating - and you will be hearing as you cut or mill on it - thereby cutting off or milling off more than you plan. The metal will have to be flooded as you cut - to keep cool and make the cut in the right place.

Al isn't all that easy to work with if you want a precision final. It is for the most part and alloys easy enough to cut, but precision is tough.

Mart> I have a project that requires a machining operation that I am puzzling

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

How about using square or hex stock, then turn it round after you make the groves.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Steve Walker wrote in news:fdednTSRkKuojNzMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

If I have the right sized keyseat cutter, that would also work with the Vee block. I'll have to check my stash of cutters. It will have to be samll enoungh in diameter to only cut one side of the rim of the counterbore, but that could work.

Thanks.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:tfb0t.739332$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-11.dc.easynews.com:

That's pretty much a general issue with holding tight tolerances in the stuff. My big concern is not that the depth & width of the slot are within a thousandth, but that the angle of the slots on each end is within a degree or better.

I've typically used my collet block for working on round stuff this size, but I should have a Vee block or small vise that will allow me to reposition the work without losing my reference.

Using a keyslot cutter has the advantage that with appropriate clamping, I don't have to move the workpiece at all.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

"azotic" wrote in news:khrfqa$bi$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Ah! That would also work. Unnecessary in this case, but a possibility. The trick would be turning it into a smooth cylinder with both ends already finished. Flipping it around in a collet would invariably leave a small step, although in this case, that's not critical.

Thanks to everyone for theri input. I'll return the group now to its usually political wrangling.... :)

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Do any metals contract, on heating?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are special formulations of Invar that have a slightly negative thermal coefficient. The common grades used in industry are close to zero.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Bizmuth expands on cooling.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Negative up to about the Curie temperature:-

Interesting that it's still negative down at liquid Nitrogen temperatures.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I think you need to specify a temperature range in which you're interested. IIRC Antimony expands slightly when it solidifies and that feature is useful in getting better definition in some white metal casting alloys like modern tin based pewter. Overall though it expands on heating over the broader temperature range.

Reply to
David Billington

Id use a shaper and a V block with a flat to ref to.

Particularly if the rod is longer than the lift of my mill.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner