metalworking

Engineers and scientists communicate multidimensional, nonlinear ideas to each other by sketching while they talk, famously on napkins and Chinese restaurant placemats. We are very articulate that way, more than with photos because we can draw cutaways and cross-sections and graphs of mathematical functions. Posting descriptions in pure linear text is just a challenging mental exercise.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I write for myself setup information whenever I run a job on one of the CNC machines. I try to be as concise as possible, enough so that someone with practically no experience could do the setup. This way I don't need to remember how I did the setup. These instructions, though written by me and intended for me, still sometimes are confusing. It really rankles me that I can't even write stuff for myself that I can understand. And I recognize my writing style. I have read stuff that people have reposted, some of it years old, and it looks familiar. Then I get to the end and see my name. Yet I still have trouble sometimes understanding the meaning of what I wrote, even though I recognize the style. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Modern machining job shop owners don't want to pay for your mental exercise. They want to make money. Every modern machining job shop I'm involved with uses digital photos and video to document difficult setups. A picture is worth a thousand worlds and its cheaper to do it this way.

You want to work in a modern machining job shop you either get with the program or your history.

====

I didn't work in the shop making the parts, I designed, prototyped, tested and refined them, then sent out bid packages and evaluated the quotes. Typically these were local one or two man shops mostly supported by Lockheed or Raytheon.

The electrical engineers I worked for knew very little of mechanical engineering or machining and gladly left that all to me, and there's a lot of metalwork in microwaves and laser optics.The mechanical engineer couldn't do it because he didn't understand electronics, but he was very helpful with Mil Spec tolerancing and standards.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have a name that ends in the letters icz. When people ask, "What kind of a name is that?", I respond,"American."

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On 6/13/2014 9:02 AM, Guna Sekar wrote:.

Imagine.

Gunas and jon banquer in a dimly lit room.

Frightening!

Reply to
SteveB

Mebbe it is because, like me, I'm too busy out there pounding and making sparks, and don't spend a lot of time around here.

HOLY SHIT, WHAT AM I DOING TALKING TO YOU?

plink.......

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yawn. My job was to stay on the air, without repairing any equipment. My MOS was to repair that equipment, at a service depot. I broke countless regulations to not only stay one the air, but to put the facilities in top notch condition. There were times when I worked four days, non stop. The chief engineers of the two Fairbanks stations visited a few weeks after I left for home, expecting it to be in shambles. They were shocked to see who well it was running, and wanted to know who did the work. Another engineer told them that I did it, in spite of orders not to. One of them told him, If I'd known he was that good I would have hired him! Neeley laughed and told them they couldn't afford to hire me. Make whatever claims you want. That base was hazardous duty.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell