Any EDUCATED guess on the weight of this printing press?

Bought this in auction today and wondering, how much does it weigh. Any idea?

This is a huge machine, bigger than a semi truck.

Also, if someone has any idea what usable things I can salvage from it, I will also appreciate that. Thanks a lot.

Ignoramus32163

Ignoramus32163 fired this volley in news:dJSdnS1MAJ0a2AfOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have a friend who's in the printing business. I'll ask.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd, it would be awesome, thanks a lot!

Ignoramus32163

Ignoramus32163 fired this volley in news:rt2dnZfa9dyEyAfOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I've asked. He normally takes a day or two to answer.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lots of cams,gears and rubber rollers. The parts might be metric if that press was made in germany. Looks like that press was made in stations, think 7 printing presses tied end to end. The side frames will be thick castings 1" or better and the cylinders will be heavy. I would gestamate 10K per section. So somewhere in the neighborhood

70 to 100k pounds. The ones i worked on were mostly made off cast iron.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Thanks. I am trying to get some info on this. I will let you guys know how it worked out in the end.

Ignoramus32163

Just curious, do you go to the work to sell prepared cast and steel? or just haul it in any way possible?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Usually I do not try that. The labor is not worth the $10-20 difference in price per ton.

I just went to the printing place where this machine is. I saw it again.

It is huge.

I estimate that it weighs 32,000-36,000 per section.

This is not just my guess, I also got some educated opinions.

Ignoramus7881

Any ideas on how much time it will take to dismantle that beast?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

"azotic" fired this volley in news:lnfkfu$4f8$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

FWIW, according to on-line specs, it's easily separated into individual stations.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I am guessing 2.5 weeks.

Ignoramus7881

And the sections weigh over 30,000 lbs each.

Ignoramus7881

Ignoramus7881 fired this volley in news:GumdnavDj8uq_wbOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

So? That's manageable! You've got the truck and a lift that will handle them onesies, right?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Truck yes.

Lifts, I have two 15,000 lb forklifts.

I will have to see if I can somehow split the sections.

Ignoramus7881

Ignoramus7881 fired this volley in news:wI2dnVTVlOL89gbOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

heh! I guess that limits "salvaging". BIG saw, right down the middle!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That could get messy and labor intensive. Removing the sections intact would be the way to go. Maybe get some machine scates and drag the sections outside then place them on your truck with your two fork lifts. Do you have extra counter weights to place on the back of the fork lifts?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

The sections are mounted on raised concrete pads, they will not skate safely.

I have very nice counterweights.

Are the big roller drums on the lower part, solid or hollow?

Ignoramus7881

Ignoramus7881 fired this volley in news:fYCdnRufjpke6QbOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

hollow (but thick-walled to prevent distortions... probably 1" or more) L

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

They cylinders were hollow.

Maybe you could lower onto some scates with some enerpac low profile cylinders, or fabricate a cradle using hydraulics for lifting and solid rods for the wheels. How far is the exit and loading dock? Can you get at the press with you fork lifts?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I can drive a forklift between the concrete pads (which support the sides of the press).

The press supposedly comes apart.

Ignoramus7881