Any EDUCATED guess on the weight of this printing press?

How heigh are are the concrete pads?

Any problem damaging the floor of the building during removal?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Could I sell you the Sydney Harbour Bridge? There is about 52,000 tonnes of steel in it.

It is a popular joke selling the bridge to gullible tourists >:|

Reply to
John Griffiths

1ft

Well, it will be damaged of course, but not too much.

Ignoramus7881

Above all else, be careful. Working with something that even in pieces can max out both your forklifts at once means you have to really be on the ball with safety procedures.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete, what I am hoping for, personally, is that not only I can disconnect individual sections, but I can also take pieces from each section so that I remove them in 2-3 pieces.

Ignoramus7881

Looks like your in for a labor intensive task based on your description. Maybe rent a fork lift capable of lifting the 35k sections.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Won't be that easy. You have the two side plates and the 3 cylinders, thats will be where most of weight will be. Taking off all the little stuff before you can seperate the heavy stuff is whats gonna eat up a lot of time. Bring your big ass impact wrench and your metric sockets and wrenches.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Whta I think is that the top can be disconnecte from the bottom (the mintenance guy said something like that), and additionally, maybe I can remove some other pieces from the bottom part, like cylinders. Not yet sure. Rollers are supposed to be esily removable and they are heavy.

Ignoramus7881

That press had an operator that knows every nut bolt and screw on it. Any possibility of talking to him?

Reply to
nobody

Might be worth hiring that guy for a day or two to show you how to dismantle the press the fastest way. Don't forget the videos as you go along.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

He will show us.

Ignoramus7881

Yes, there is that guy still there, he said he will show us how to dismantle. I really do not want to rent a big forklift.

Ignoramus7881

But without videos, how will you show US?

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I will try t oat least take pictures, vidoes would not be worthwhile.

Not like a crashing conveyor video.

Ignoramus30183

Ig can call ol' Hackman at Lenox. Let's see if he can cut one of _those_ in half with just one blade.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course it does. It needs regular maintenance, so it probably has some built-in lift eyes for the drums and other heavy goodies inside. I've only worked on an old Lithograph 1250, but the couple dozen computerized monsters I saw at the Gutenberg Convention in Long Beach (many moons ago) were ten times its size, and portable enough to move, get running perfectly, and remove in under a week.

Pop the sheetmetal and you'll get a much better idea of how to do this.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That has amazed me every time I have gone to a printing show. They get thos e 5, 6 or 7 color presses in, running and calibrated only to run for three or four days, then knock 'em down and drag 'em out. And, the show floor is spotless. Pretty damned impressive.

Reply to
rangerssuck