Metalworking Accident

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link to the Slo-Mo version there. :) Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

He needs a personal injury lawyer, there were no warning labels on the tube or mortor.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

"azotic" fired this volley in news:Rpiyi.62312$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.phx:

The "tube" as you call it IS the mortar. The "mortor" as you call is is a "mortar round" or "mortar shell".

The little round things you buy at the Class-C fireworks stand that go up in the air and explode with pretty colors are "aerial shells". The thing they shoot OUT OF is a mortar.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I'm just guessing that he isn't going to need the lawyer. The mortar didn't explode, the round did. He's going to need a bag.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Is it possible to arm a round by hitting on the ground? How are the rounds armed? In the movie "Saving Private Ryan", they slammed the butt end of the round and threw it. In any case thankfully, this guy is on his way to paradise. Perfect justice for firing indiscriminately. You can not accurately aim a mortar like that by holding it with your hand.

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

I suspect his family needs the lawyer. He has no use for one any more.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

He doesn't have to hit anything. The act of dropping shells into a general area, where the other side is claiming that it is safe to live/work/do business, or just to be, is all the shooter has to do to accomplish his goal of showing defiance and wreaking a little havoc.

Lesse now.... Interdict a shipment of mortar shells, expensive as hell! Re-rig the fuses to be initiated on firing, priceless!

Never use the ammo the other guy left behind, now, boy scouts! Bad things can happen!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

======== Bear in mind that the following is based on my experience with US Infantry weapons many years ago, and things do change. I was also at Carter Carburetor where we made hundreds of thousands of BLU3 and mortar fuses.

The usual US practice for mortar shells at that time was to have a spring loaded inertia pin that retains another pin that rides on the bore making the round "bore safe." In operation the round is drop fired and the inertia pin driven back releasing the bore safe pin that then rides on the inside of the barrel until the round clears the barrel. Some little distance ( a few feet) past the end of the barrel the bore safety pin pops out and the round is armed.

In Vietnam because of the very high and dense jungle canopy in many areas, a number of mortar crews killed themselves attempting to shoot through it [with a quick or super quick fuse, even brushing a twig or a leave will be enough to set off a round after it is armed and an air burst is the most dangerous kind ]

An improved mechanical delay fuse was developed with a spring loaded paddle wheel that spun around for a few seconds and then armed the fuse. More than likely some sort of electronics are now used.

A contributing factor is the need to [generally] remove propellant "increments" to adjust the range in addition to adjusting the inclination of the tube.

One of the "tricks of the mortar man's trade" (not covered in any FM I know of) is to attach additional increments left over from prior shorter range shots to gain those few additional yards of range. This is similar to tipping the powder can to make a 357 out of a 38, and most definitely is *NOT* the place to apply the rule "if somes good, mores better, and too much is just enough." Last words here may well have been "Watch me get 20,000 yards easy with this round."

The explosion might also be another example of a lack of quality control or a difference in weapons design philosophy which stresses cost and producability over operator safety, or some other bonehead move such as using a faster [rifle] powder in the increments if the proper propellant had been lost or damaged, similar to replacing Blue Dot by Bullseye on a weight for weight basis because you are running low on Blue Dot.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

Well, that video certainly made MY day! :-) Thanks to the person responsible for posting it.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

No -- the first one fired.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Putting TWO rounds in a mortar is sabotage?

Guess they forgot to spell it out. Place one round in tube. Wait for big bang before inserting second round.

I see grounds for a hefty lawsuit.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

After reviewing the clip several times, I can see where the first one DID fire. My screen starts small, and while I was hitting the enlarge icon, I missed a little of the action.

Oh, well. Just proves nothing is foolproof.

Hell of a video, though. Wonder how far the camera man was. And if he got splattered. Those mortar rounds have a decent amount of explosives in them.

I have respect for high order explosives after seeing what they can do underwater, and in perforating guns on deck when set off inadvertently.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That was a regular task of LRRP units..to salt the enemies stockpiles with doctored rounds.

Actually saw a gomer fire a doctored AK47 round. (The bullets were pulled, and the case filled with RDX or C-4.)

He lost his head.

Rather cool actually

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did they have to put something at the primer end to blow first?? I was wondering if C4 would go off with a small charge like a primer being used to detonate.

Did he actually loose the whole thing?? I'm having flash backs to a Schwarzenegger movie, The Running Man, where convicts had explosive collars on and during a prison break one has his go off and you see a quick flash of a headless body standing before it falls over.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That's what I think the vid shows.....a doctored round. That doesn't look like a round from all those ancient Iraqi stock piles of ammo either....it looks like the paint job on it is pretty fresh. Maybe we interdicted some supplies coming in from Iran and "fixed" them up.

What a coincidence. In the Slo-Mo vid of this incident you can see the mortor guy's head flying off to the left. Allahu Akbar!! Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Oh yeah....here's the link to the Slo-Mo version.

dav1936531

I guess we can thank IRAN for the quality level - helps eradicate those they help!

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What really struck me in the slowd -motion version was the extent to which you still really couldn't follow what happened due to the frame-to-frame changes. Near as I could tell, the head was only visible in one frame.

Wow.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer