Metalworking Deeds of the Day

I made a replacement shaft for an electric model airplane motor. My wife bent the old one as part of the learning process (she's learning control
line. You cannot fly ten dumb thumbs high with a control line plane -- you're always one or two mistakes away from disaster).
So, during the better part of an hour's worth of work, I cut a 3mm rod to length, made a 20-mil wide groove cutter, cut a groove, pressed out the old shaft, and pressed in the new one.
Making the cutter on my bench grinder took most of the time.
The best part is -- I saved $8.50! $7.40 for the motor, and $1.10 for a replacement shaft! For just an hour's work!
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Can I get a Triple Burger on a Kaiser roll, or would it be cheaper to get the Big Classic Double with an extra beef patty?

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:49:53 -0500, Tim Wescott

So, at $15.00 an hour, minimum wage, you only lost six dollars and fifty cents :-)
--
cheers,

John B.
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 8:49:55 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

Hope you at least made a second one while you were at it as a spare.
G'luck PaulS
On 7/14/2015 7:49 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

If I were doing this, it takes only a bit more time to make 2 or 3 for the next accidents.
David
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 07:50:48 -0500, David R. Birch wrote:

Most of the time was spent making the tool, and that's done.
We bent another one today, so I have my evening's entertainment laid out.
(She's learning control line, where basically you don't crash at all or you land on the propeller. Infernal combustion engines tend to have much stouter crankshafts than 'lectric, which is why those little Cox plastic planes ever survived long enough for a second attempt).
--
www.wescottdesign.com

My solution to teaching people to fly control-line planes was to teach tem on 1/2-A planes in tall grass. It saved props and motors. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 23:38:43 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm working on an electric and foam alternative to that. Rev 2 will have the motor behind the wing, pushing, and the battery in the nose. Boring straight into the ground may mangle the fuse (we don't have tall grass), but at least it won't damage the motor.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

Junior's first attempt went ammazingly well in the park across the street until, in an attempt to avoid the tree on our side of the street, he did an accurate vertical hit on the top of a street light!
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

If you were to drive off to the shop to buy a new one, you would probably have spent just as much time. And then there's the fuel cost on top.
--
RoRo

Tim Wescott wrote:

Were it in ThisPartOfRightPondia and Euro instead of Dollar, you'd even have earned the recently established mandatory minimum salary.
--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy < snipped-for-privacy@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert <v snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com>
On 15 Jul 2015 21:38:24 GMT, v snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com (Volker Borchert) wrote:

For Tim, I'll bet that his average hourly rate is a wee bit more. I'll rate his statement with a Facetiousity Factor of 100%.
--
The business of America is not business. Neither is it war. The business
of America is justice and securing the blessings of liberty.