Metalworking question - Did I get screwed?

I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

Reply to
*

If you can't see $25 PLUS two bolts in the attachment send it on to me and I'll return your $25 PLUS shipping! ;-)

Seriously, how much trouble is it to get two replacement bolts? Surely someone will stock them. You may need to know the diameter, length, thread type, etc. Then I'd bet you can get them from McMaster Carr.

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

You did if you expect it to make your lathe a decent milling machine.

Missing screws is better than mushroomed screws that won't come out.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm thinking this was a gloat. Am I right?

Wes

Wes

A related topic, sort of the inverse of what the OP asked.

I have a mill, but no lathe.

I splurged once and bought a lathe chuck with R8 backing. I found out that I could actually perform the most basic milling operations, such as using a cutoff blade and reducing diameters. This chuck was already useful once. Just curious if anyone else tried it.

Ignoramus12441

Guilty as charged....

Reply to
*

You did if you expect it to make your lathe a decent milling machine.

Missing screws is better than mushroomed screws that won't come out.

----------

Naw...I have a milling machine.

I just couldn't pass up this bargain.

Reply to
*

I have a source for the screws - 3/8" USS x 3-1/2" square head.

Reply to
*

I've run a model shop at electronics companies that don't have or need a lathe, and used the mill to shorten or turn down standoffs a few times. The only problem I noticed was the bit shifting in the vise.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The best bargain I ever found was a Starrett Last Word tagged "pressure gage $7"

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've turned pins using collets in my bridgeport, bits in the mill vise. Great minds think a like ;)

Wes

Wes

Well, since I wasn't looking for one for myself, congrats!

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Not at all.

I suppose it is a tool post milling attachment. I have one for my Sheldon. It isn't all that bad of a tool, but a real mill beats it.

The nice thing is cutting slots and stuff once something is turned.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

  • wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn

Yes, I kept the lathe bit in the vise. It is nice to have a R8 chuck, however. They are not that expensive. $69 plus shipping.

Ignoramus15242

Hey Iggy,

I see Jacobs taper and 5C but not R8. Where did you buy yours from?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

See ebay item 300216542264. I believe that I bought my chuck from another ebay seller, but I know this guy also (bought something else from him) and he is OK. I am only a satisfied customer, no other relation to the seller.

Ignoramus15242

Got it! Thanks, Iggy!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

This chuck, works as advertised. Has two sets of jaws, also.

Ignoramus15242