Military insignia question

The other night, we were watching Medal of Honor recipient Sgt. Salvatore Giunta on TV. He was in uniform, though not a formal dress uniform. My wife noticed that on his right arm he wore a flag patch that appeared backwards - the blue field with stars was in the upper right.

I've never seen (or at least never noticed) that before. Actually, I thought the stars in the upper left was specified in the flag code. Do any of you have any insight on this?

BTW, Giunta is definitely a guy you'd want on your team. Brains, guts and humility.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I don't know the reason for the opposite orientation of the U.S. Flag on that soldier's uniform, but any Army Ranger should know why the uniform shoulder patches are different.

And any woud-be Ranger that doesn't know, probably never was a Ranger.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Have a gander at these links:

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis.

Reply to
rangerssuck

For anyone interested, the full story is on pages 240 & 241 of

rangerssuck

My guess it was for the other shoulder and was ordered to swap patches for the camera.

It is very unlikely it was a sign of distress, but possible.

Mart> The other night, we were watching Medal of Honor recipient Sgt.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

No, Dennis answered correctly, and I confirmed it by following his links. Besides, wouldn't the "distrees" sign be flying the flag upside- down?

Reply to
rangerssuck

I believe you were thinking of the one for hanging a flag vertically. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk