mini backhoe - collecting materials and ideas to make one

After using small home made tools to solve the immediate problem I cleaned them up to look nice and took them to job interviews. I think they got me into Segway.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

See, you're one of those guys (like some others here) who have one foot in metalworking as part of your vocation, and the other foot in metalworking as an avocation. That's a good deal -- "Have more fun at work."

I got a bit of that when I was editing metalworking magazines. I'd study something for an article, and sometimes I'd get to try it at home, for fun.

For example, when I was trying to get a handle on filler metals for welding 4130 and got to beat the crap out of this piece of tube:

Ed Huntress

A co-worker got himself promoted by showing off his progress on a very nice fly casting reel he was making at home.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

They can be more difficult than they look. I started one around 20 years ago and still have the parts. It was for salt water fly fishing and I wanted a drag and a crank multiplier. I made it too complex. Maybe I'll try again.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

They're near $3k, while scrounging parts and building your own might cost you a grand. Many of us are not well funded for our toy departments.

That's illegal. They're not road licenseable in the USA. The fine print on the site says "Not for use on highways or public roads." Many cops would likely let it go, but the sticklers would know they're not roadable and ticket you, possibly impounding it. Caveat tow-er.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, Griz, HF, Northern are all parts kits and you fit and finish them, cleaning away cosmoline/goop, lubing, torquing, etc.

Ayup, but they still cost at least $2k more than DIY, and DIY can be built heavier-duty at little extra cost. It's scrap.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Over on the Wreck (rec.woodworking) we used to kid each other about buying a $2,500 sliding table saw to build a $40 end table, etc. But it's not about that. We's all tool users. Arr, arr, arr.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you have any idea why they can not be licensed?

I can think of two possible reasons. One is they have no brake and running licenses. The second is that the tires are not rated for highway use.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I don't know about trailerable backhoes but log splitters can be licensed in WA State. I called the Wa State Patrol about towing my log splitter and they said it needs a license plate and is considered to be a trailer. I asked why I see so many being towed without plates and was told that they are illegal but almost nobody gets pulled over for towing a log splitter. The tires on some splitters are rated for only

45 mph, I think the ones on my splitter are like this. So freeway driving is probably not a good idea unless the tires are changed. I bet I could get a plate for a trailerable backhoe here. The log splitters I have seen towed didn't have lights and I think this may be OK because the splitter doesn't obscure the towing vehicle's lights. If the fine print does indeed say "for off road use only" it may be just like you said. The thing is missing things needed to be driven on public roads, like lights and a license plate. Who cares what someone says on usenet? Call your local agency and find out first hand. Eric
Reply to
etpm

Up here they are towable equipment and do not require licencing - but you need to change the axles and put in high-speed wheelbearings - and DOT listed TRAILER tires instead of the wheelbarrow tires they come with. As long as it can't carry anything as a payload it is not a trailer (does not require licencing)

Reply to
clare

A friend has a t-shirt I lust over:

I'm here because you broke something.

Reply to
David Lesher

State laws vary. When I looked up Califunny, it seems equipment merely being transported from X to Y did not need tags, if on its own wheels.

But a trailer to haul it would.

Reply to
David Lesher

LOL! Good one. I had one made for me after seeing one:

Just because I give you advice, it doesn't mean I know more than you, it just means I've done more stupid shit.

will let you print a one-off tee for $7.49 + $4.99 standard shipping right now, so grab one if you really want it, David. It's cheap enough. Mine is so long, it takes people long enough to read that I catch them at it, and they're all smiling.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

IS THAT the way you pronounce the words "Dumpster", "Diver" in S. California?

By the way, here is a "how to" article which may improve your technique:

goodsoldierschweik