Minor mod to HF trailer tongue dolly

This product came up in a thread I didn't read until tonight. I have one, and I love it for moving my boat trailer around in close quarters. I modified it, and modified another for my friend at the lake, so the ball height would be about the same as the hitch on a truck. It's an easy mod for anyone with basic welding capability, and it saves a bunch of cranking on the tongue jack. It also solves the problem of changing ball sizes: there's ample room for a long-shanked ball with the mod. Photos here:

A suitable nut was welded to the underside of the cap that is then welded atop the extension post, so the ball just screws right in and is easily changed if necessary.

I've had no problem with the tires going flat and I did this in June of 2005, use it every summer at the lake. If the tires on the one I did for Ted have gone flat, he's never mentioned it. But then, he wouldn't. He'd just reinflate them.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I bought, but haven't yet installed, a bolt-on style receiver for the front of my truck so I can do that with MORE POWER. I've used friends' Jeeps and pickups to stab boats into tiny places, and they're really, really nice. Tongue dollies are nice for very light objects, like drift boats on minimalist trailers, but once the mass goes up, powered hitches are the ticket.

Great idea. (Love that paint job on the bottom of the ball, BTW. Weren't you one of us recent Zenniers?)

Bueno.

My HF tires keep going flat, too. I need to get some green slime and give it a try.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote:.

Don't try to cheap out and scrape some out of Cliffie's cage. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My dad built a little four wheel drive tongue wagon. its powered by a

12 volt car battery and starter motor geared WAY down. Tons 'o torque, low low speed. he has about thrity airplane hangers he rents and is allways moving something. At 84, this little unit makes his life much easier.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I've put front hitches on a couple of vehicles. Sometimes there just isn't room for the length of truck + trailer. Mary's Jeep also has a front hitch, and I think the guy she gave it to will have it at the lake next summer.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Cool. I'll bet it's easier. Does it pull the front gear wheel onto itself or latch on to turn the gear for direction changes?

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nah, I was just covering up some of that chrome so folks wouldn't think I was showing off or sump'n.

Reply to
Don Foreman