weld-on trailer jack

I bought a bulldog swivel jack with a weld-on L shaped bracket. The bracket has 4 small bumps on the plate that prevent the plate from fitting flat against the tongue. It stands off about 1/8" from the tongue surface. There were no instructions on how it should be welded on. I sent them an e-mail about getting some instructions but have not received an answer yet. The trailer coupler I bought had specific instructions on how it should be welded so I assumed the jack should have also. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the proper way these should be welded on. I have the Model TWS

151 DS which has a 2000# rating. The trailer is 6' x 12' with a 3500# axle and the tongue is a 4" channel 50deg A-Frame.
Reply to
bitternut

Interesting you should ask. I just did the same thing, The "stand-off" is there so the swivel will allow the pins to engage the holes in the base. (it IS a swivel, right?). There is no way you can weld flush and it still work. You have two choices....

  1. Weld to a separate plate (or angle or whatever) and then weld "that" to your tongue.

  1. Drill some holes and use "u" bolts or whatever to bolt the base to your tongue.

Again, you MUST allow the stand-off for the swivel to work. Hope this helps.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Thanks Josh...........I kind of figured I would place the plate on my table and weld a piece of 1/4 x 1 bar stock to each side. Then I would weld the assembly to the tongue. I was also planning on welding the short leg of the L to the top of the channel. That way it would be welded on three sides with the bottom being open so the road salt will drain out. I knew that the stand-off bumps were to allow for swiveling and sufficient pin entry. I just kind of figured if it was a weld on piece it came ready to weld on. I didn't think the big gap was the right way for it to be welded. I don't think I will buy another bulldog jack. Makes me wonder where else they scrimped. The bracket should have had a flange formed on each side for welding. They had to run the plate through a die anyway so why not build it right.

Reply to
bitternut

Unfortunately, the engineers that designed your product (or mine), ever had to USE it. They only care about the cost, the liability, the shipping weight, and the marketing potential. It's getting worse, I tell ya...........

I've started to buy only the Chinese copies, because I have to re-design the parts anyway.........We Americans will soon cease to exist......

Josh.

Reply to
Josh