More "prepper" nonsense

I was curious about how long raw whole wheat could be stored, so I went searching. I searched on "how long can wheat last", without the quotes. The first two "hits" were from nutball survivalist sites. I went to the first one, preparednesspro.wordpress.com, and read a little bit of what the link on wheat storage had to say. Then I clicked on their home page link, and the full splendor of their crackpot paranoia became immediately apparent.

By Kellene Bishop

Even hardened military personnel are taxed to their maximum ability when functioning as sentries for a structure round the clock. Regardless of how much military or emergency training one has, it?s simply unrealistic to think that anything less than 6 able-bodied adults can manage and protect a home in times of peril. Thus at some point it?s very likely that you will need to accept others into your home after a disaster that debilitates society *as you now know it*. Think about it. Let?s say that a home is ?fully furnished? with a dad and a mom. In addition to the necessity of keeping watch on your home, there?s cooking, repairs, fuel acquisition (wood or otherwise) and ensuring that some semblance of comfort and normalcy are maintained. I dare say that most adults already feel strung out to their maximum capacity. So adding a 24 hour watch to your home with just the two of you either won?t happen or it will occur poorly. Either way that compromises your safety, so you will definitely need help. But who you trust and rely on to be a part of your home/community could be one of the most important decisions you make in your life. As such, this decision could be one of life or death proportions. [emphasis added]

That "[life] as we now know it" is what always jumps out at you with "prepper" crackpots. It's one of those absolute "tells", and you never have to wait long for it.

Reply to
Delvin Benet

Not sure how much my server will let me quote, but ...................

I cannot imagine just how the fullest prepared installation on this earth could survive if the inhabitants had to go fully underground. Oh, yeah, they could grow things for a while. Until the water or electricity (artificial light) went out. Any straggler who stuck their head out would get a Varmint Grenade for his birthday.

Security and sentry duty would be a nightmare, both from the prospective of taking a boot grunt and making them into a fighting machine who needed to fail only ONE TIME, and then there were fewer. There is a huge problem with sentry patrols and security now. What do you do if you find Sis napping? Shoot her? Now there are less. People would have to go outside eventually, or go crazy. And snipers would be waiting, being able to cover large amounts of territory from very small very secure outposts. And air vent security? Water security? Cholera and similar stuff?

I would bet that if if was all over after five years, and everyone came out, that the above ground group would fare better, being able to build warm structures, harvest meat and fauna, fish, lose less to combat, and generally have a far less stressful life than being pinned down. Remember, the people seiging could hold down the whole underground group with far less people than those who stayed inside. Or, hell, just set up household outside and a mile or two away and wait for them to waddle out mumbling to themselves after being in the dark for months. Every time one of them sticks their head out, there will be a high velocity shell coming from a telescopic rifle right soon.

Sure, one can survive underground, but how long, and what kind of shape will they come out in. Many social experiments to do in there that haven't been done yet.

I'd rather be on the outside where I can roam far and wide and follow the animals and fish and plants, and not glued to one spot by some Arky with an AK. And if they do breach it, GUESS WHAT? FOOD'S GONE! And living in some stinkhole with a bunch of people I may not care for. I can only think of six right now, and four of them are probationary.

Just me.

YMMV

Reply to
SteveB

This has nothing to do with metalworking.

Plonk.

Reply to
Tim Wescott