Curious

hi, just curious as to how many in this group are architects? (and how many are autocad users)

also curious as to how many architects have lost their jobs in the last 15 years or so due to autocad. (i could go back further, but no need)

am doing a true-to-life study on the Real benefits the computer has brought to communities; i already know it has put a lot of people out of work in favour of cost-cutting. i also know that being an architect is now not a pre-requisite of getting an architectual job, but rather a knowledge of software use is.

thankx birt

Reply to
birty

Before asking a question such as this, do some research and find out what an architect is. You obviously don't know. If you did, you wouldn't ask a question such as this. How many carpenters were put out of work due to the invention of the portable circular saw? No, I'm not an architect. I do metal. I'm an engineer but I know what an architect is and can tell you that there is no piece of software that will replace them.

Reply to
CW

Here's one. I lost my job five years ago. See my website ; )

A smart guy from Yale told me in school, "Data is not written on the surface of experience. It is determined by the assumptions you make when you ask questions." That is why asking yourself a lot of questions, especially the difficult ones, is a path to wisdom.

There are MANY assumptions revealed in your questions that you may want to reconsider.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Not for a while yet, I hope. Same goes for engineers.

"HAL? HAL? I need that site plan today, HAL."

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I'm not an architect but I play one on TV. Actually, some of the most valued employees at the place I'm working now are older guys who don't even have computers on their desks. They draw things by hand, pass them off to drafters, and really, really know their shit. I heard at a meeting though that they're not looking to hire any more of this kind of architect; you have to come with CAD skills.

That said, you should be aware of a trend towards requiring familiarity with even MORE software. These would include Microsoft Project (for scheduling),

3D Studio or Form Z (for rendering), Sketchup (for designing), PowerPoint (for presentations) and Illustrator (for colored presentation drawings). Knowing your way around a spreadsheet and word processor is also a must.

I doubt that lack of familiarity with AutoCAD has been responsible for a lot of lost jobs. The dirty little secret of CAD is that it takes even longer to draft something using software than it does by hand. Efficiency comes into play when it's time to make global drawing changes, take care of red lines, coordinate with the engineers, print multiple copies, add details, etc..

Reply to
Marc Clamage

Erasing and copying are clearly the biggest advantages of CAD.

My point was that the OP's premise is so full of assumptions that he has prescribed his answers with his question. What about all those guys who used to get out of architecture school, and couldn't walk and chew gum.....or draw, but had intimate relations with computers? (You know the type.)

Did these guys GET jobs because of CAD? Are they now CAD standards and network administrators, etc?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

the 'real' thing here is, I am a carpenter. At this moment in 'time', carpenters and any 'on-site' building tradesman are more in demand than any university-studied person. The computer has done exactly what the truth of the bible said it would, and it is continueing to do so. I am in australia, and everyday I see an announcement on the news whereby thousands of people are being made redundant due to the technological monsters we have created that put humans out of work.

dont any of you bark at me for proclaiming the obvious and the truth. I dont 'dance' to your tune and I doubt any of you have time for the starving in countries on this globe that we all live upon.

It is obvious now that the two replies I got are from narrow minded humans. I hope you both have children.................... for they are going to have to live in a world of "haves" and "have-nots" that you leave behind for them; Yes, you can leave them the wealth of your bank accounts when you perish, but as I type you will find the "have-nots" are willing to break into your strong-holds just for a meal. Look around mister architect/software user.....

Reply to
birty

Just for fun...

an engineer once told me : "An engineer is a person that builds something for 1$ that any jerk could do with 2$"

I thought it was funny..

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Pete

Reply to
Dr Fleau

I was about to answer your question at the beginning of the thread (I draw for architects and engineers) but then I came across this gem, and suddenly you lost a lot of credibility.....and I have to bite......

Where in the bible does it mention computers?

Brian NZ

Reply to
Brian

You lost all credibility when you demonstrated that you don't know even the fundamentals of anything that you are talking about. Computers in the bible huh. Well, tell me, does God use a PC or Mac?

Reply to
CW

So who is this "true-to-life study" being prepared for? Your local church group perhaps? You have obviously drawn your own conclusions to this alledged study already, which make your accusations about narrow mindedness quite ridiculous. BTW, I live in Australia too - god only knows which news channels you listen to...

Reply to
Tim Freeman

...and in order to write your message and post it here, you are using what? Scratches on stone? Clay tablet? Pen and paper?

I doubt it!

Reply to
Brian Salt

Technological monsters we have created does not affect your trade so just get back to worked doing what you do best and keep on nailing studs and put up walls that are not 90 deg in the corners.

BTW 1 inch and 3 line stong on the tape is not 45 mm

Pfffffffffffff

Reply to
Robert

Reply to