Layers and XRefs

Dear Group, I would appreciate some help... I am working on a 2 storey building, combining my model with an Xref for each floor. The Xrefs are big files with loads of layers. I think my drawing would be simpler if I could reduce the XRefs to one or two layers each before using them. How can I do this?? Also, is there a way to "switch off" an Xref temporarily in the same way as you can with an individual layer?? Thanks in advance David

Reply to
David

Different versions have different capabilities concerning XREFs.

Unloading an XREF prevents it form being displayed and should speed things up considerably. Look into VISRETAIN in the help. Once you have your XREF layer setup you can have it persist from session to session. I you need a few combinations, Layer Manager, or whatever their now calling it, can simplify toggling the layer states.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Layer manager seems to allow you to make up different lists of layers, then you can select by listname what you want displayed. I say "seems to" because I fooled around a lot with layer manager yesterday but did not actually try this function. It is in there though (Acad 2005).

- Tom

Happy Trails To You

Reply to
Happy Trails

IF YOU START USING LAYER FILTERS YOU WILL MAKE A LOT OF ENEMIES WHEN YOU SHARE THE FILES

Reply to
Jerry G

Love that upper case - reminds me of the olden days of teletype machines.

In my case I'm always the sharee, not the sharer.

Layer filters are very useful (which is why they were invented, I guess) for making up different "models" required for different purposes.

From most of the drawings I get to work on, I need to use about 10-20 layers each to make up a grading model from which I will make several dtm's, linework for the bulldozer computer, different linework for the field computer used by the surveyor for layout, different linework for the calibration of a site, etc etc etc.

It is really useful to be able to switch among several different sets of layers using a list for this.

Happy Trails To You

Reply to
Happy Trails

Reply to
Jerry G

Create an empty layer filter then import same into the drawing. Of, course you can go get lunch while waiting for layer manager to open/populate.

Reply to
S. Scalise

Right. We have a LISP routine that we have setup to automatically Purge the Filters every time we open a drawing (then it just a question of saving it or not). But they sure do fatten up a drawing - and a lot of people have NO idea that filters do this. Many are amazed when I tell them how much smaller the files become when you do get rid of them.

Regards,

Bruce

Reply to
Mr. B

I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to layers. I hate dialoug boxes and avoid them when I can. A carefully named layer system will save a lot of trouble. For instance, all the layer names that I use in a floor plan contain "_FL" at the end of the layer name. So when I want to freeze all my floor plan layers, for none or a dozen xrefed floor plans, at my command line I type:

-La f

*_FL

No filters, no mess, and way faster than a dialoug box.

If I want to freeze from a specific xref drawing named "FLR2", I type

-La f flr2|*_fl

Makes my brain happy anyway :0)

Reply to
Phych