Viewing Layers...

I was hoping someone could help me with this situation. I am new to AutoCad and am using AutoCad 14. I like to design folding knives. I
use a layer for each part, the blade, liners, locking bar, etc,.and use a different color for each. I like to use the rotate function, at the blade pivot point, to rotate the blade to make sure it closes into the handle and not interfere with the other parts. The problem is that it is difficult to select all of the blade lines, with all the other layers involved, because they overlap. The only way I know of is to turn off the layers, except the blade layer, to easily select all of the blade, but with the rotate function still on, I can not get into the layers function to turn the layers back on and view them to judge the movement of the blade. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to view all the parts at the same time, but be able to select only the blade layer? Perhaps just an individual color? I hope I've explained it clearly. I've been looking for a solution, but to no avail. A response will be greatly appreciated.

First, look if ACAD14 has Quick Select (Tools-Quick select), i've forgotten :-) If not, explore the FILTER command.
Googled it, it looks like ACAD14 doesn't have QSelect, so FILTER is the way to go.

Your main problem is the number of lines for each blade. Convert each blade into a 'block' (include the pivot point, maybe), i.e. all the lines for one blade become one entity. you can then select the block and rotate it around the pivot point.
The command is Block on the command line. you will be asked for a name, so it could be 'Blade-1', etc. Follow the requests as they arise.
When you have finished, the original blade will disappear. The command Insert will allow you the insert the block into its original position.
If you make a mistake in the selection of the lines for a blade and you have made the block, using the command Oops will restore the original, but use it immediately, not after you have done something else.
Any block, after insertion, can be converted to lines using the Explode command.
You will need to try it; play with the commands; use the Help system where you will find almost all you need.
Brian.
How the mighty have fallen...
Who here remembers the days when this was 100+ posts a day group? Paul Turwil, Michael Bulatovich, McSwain and many others...
I remember. Where they have gone I know not, but I suspect to some 'official' forum somewhere!
Same with the PowerPoint group. All the previous experts seem to have gone.
Seriously missed here!
Brian.
On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:09:15 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

Probably, forums have taken over completely, looks like usenet is dying. Everyone wants bells and whistles, ooo shiny!!
Thanks guys. I tried the locking layers suggestion and found it the easiest, so far. The block suggestion, I will explore next.
BTW...This was the first time here that the newsgroup was not inundated with crap postings.
On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:09:15 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

I doubt, for Bulatovich, McSwain, Tanzillo, Turvill et al., that "shiny" has anything to do with it. I suspect that the "old hands" -- being old -- simply moved on, having given and given and given for years; or decided that it's no longer the most efficient channel for sharing.
Every generally-useful question has been asked and answered, many times. Search Google Groups, for a start.
It seems Usenet is so dead that even spammers have mostly lost interest. Many ISPs don't carry it any more. Autodesk no longer supports it, ...
--
Chas C-Q

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 01:08:23 -0500, JW < snipped-for-privacy@mts.net> wrote:
The simplest thing I can come up with is to "lock" all of the layers except the blade. Then when you select all of the objects to rotate them it will only allow the unlocked items (the blade) to be manipulated.
By default all layers are "unlocked"
You and "lock" or "unlock" a layer by using the layer dialog box just just as you do to select the layer color or the visibility state. Just select this option for each layer (except for the blade). In release 14 I think the column header actually says "lock" or it may just be a picture of a padlock.
Good Luck
Keith
On 12/7/10 4:34 AM, JW wrote:

Yes, this is the fastest way, but used with lisp that locks all layers except selected.
And here is one blast from the past that i and no-spam are calling for :-))
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:21:45 GMT, "Jim Claypool"

Change all the lines that form an individual blade to a polyline. Once it is a polyline it becomes one object that can be rotated by selecting any part of it.
On 12/7/2010 4:34 AM, JW wrote:

Indeed a good way to do it, provided that all the lines can be joined. So many drawings have lines with non-coincident ends! I've many times had to use 'stretch' to make ends meet.
Brian.
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:18:20 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

OMG, i just go crazy when i get one of those! But i use FILLET with radius set to 0, try it, it should be faster.
GROUP
On 12/7/2010 1:34 AM, JW wrote:

JW wrote:

I don't know if it will work on autocad 14 but I frequently use the laywalk and layiso commands to do what it appears you are trying to do.
Rui Maciel