Trim & Extend

is there a setvar for toggling Trim an Extend cutting edges to NOT include obects on locked layers and xrefs?
I got some survey points for an elevation and I'm drawing over it. This is
xref'd into my drawing and its also on layer 0 which is locked, but when i trim and extend the cutting edges include the lines on the xref. Im on 2005 btw, before changing over i used to use r14 and this never happened.
hopin someone can help me out, cant find any info on google about this TIA