Mounting DRO Scale

I'm in the planning stage of installing a DRO on my lathe and have run into a problem with mounting the crossfeed scale.

Any number of obstructions are making mounting to the rear (tailstock) side a real challenge while the front (spindle) side would be relatively easy. Is it considered a no-no to mount the scale on the front side where it'll be more exposed to swarf damage etc?

Reply to
John Kunkel

"John Kunkel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yes..and no.... If you mount it on the headstock side, make sure to make a nice, clean, low-profile STEEL cover for it to prevent damage.

Reply to
Anthony

You didn't say what type of lathe you're mounting it on but this link may give you some ideas that will help.

The mounting portion starts a little over half way down the page.

Their method could be used on the spindle side and in fact I almost did that but in the end I decided against it because anything large in the chuck could swing around and hit it. Plus, IIRC the larger 4-jaw chuck that came with my lathe would have hit it if the jaws were open too far.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I had the same problem, so I went to a Newall Topaz DRO using their Microsyn scale on the cross slide. It is a rod about 1/4" dia. Easy to mount, needs support on one end only, swarf and liquid proof.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian