Mounting glass DRO scales

I've got a set of new "Rational" glass scales and am trying to mount them to a small (SX3) mill in spite of the Chinglish "instructions". A couple of questions..

  1. There are blue plastic bits on either side of the sliders, those are intended to be removed?

  1. One of them would work a lot better if it was kind of reversed. Is taking the ends off the extruded case and rotating them 180 degrees going to cause problems? I don't know how the scale is mounted to the case inside.. if the ends are just for mounting brackets, it's no problem... but..

Tks in advance

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hey Speff,

The only ones I have mounted are Mitutoyo and Acu-Rite, and they both use mounting holders (the "blue things" I think, although mine were a clear colour and a milky colour) which are used only while mounting, and then they are removed, and both companies use a bracket on each end that is relocatable. One thing I have not tried is to "cut" an overlength scale to a shorter length.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks, Brian. On closer look, there's some RTV like substance between the end pieces and the rubber wipers so maybe I'll try to live with the orientation it came with and not try to turn it into a "lefty".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Okay, for anyone else who might have this issue, the solution seems to be to open up the reader and reverse the cable. Someone else's photo of the same scale with this mod:

Spehro Pefhany