Moving Shop

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:29:01 -0700, Larry Jaques

You should try it while pulling a 1800lbs lathe up from LA....
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 04:04:25 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch

I much preferred the roads to your house, mon.
--
So far Mr. Obama has used his personally exciting presidency for initiatives
that are spending public money on a scale not seen since ancient Egypt.

So do I. When I hauled an OmniTurn to Jons house....chuckle
Our experiences were similar.

Larry Jaques wrote:

Many of the streets evolved literally from horse trails from the gold rush days, or logging roads. The area is laced with narrow 2 and one lane roads that can go for many miles. I've just had so much going on, I was a bit scattered. I -always- point out the funky street sign. Except when I forget... While rare, unfortunately for you, it happened when I gave you directions. If I ever make it up your way, feel free to give the 'scenic route' directions. <G>

Well you don't want to polish the mirror. It's a front surface, meaning it's coated on the working surface. I stored it mirror up, but the dust shows that air sure circulates even in closed storage. What little I did read about cleaning telescope optics suggested mild dish wash detergent, and DO NOT use a rag or towel. There's enough info on the web regarding the topic to occupy you for an evening or two.
As for the Lawyers and Hookers shirt, I got to thinking, some judge might not like that and slap me with contempt of court or something similar. Would be great fun, but could be a bit on the expensive side...
Jon
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 07:17:12 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson

I'll steer you to Grants Pass via US-97 Klamath Falls, OR. and back to I-5 via OR-140. That'll fix ya. <g>

I'm glad I haven't tried to clean it yet. I'd have wiped the coating off!

"Sorry, Your Honor. I do have another shirt in my briefcase and I'll change out of this one right now if you like."
One tip: You also might not want to wear it when searching for (especially while interviewing) a new attorney.
--
So far Mr. Obama has used his personally exciting presidency for initiatives
that are spending public money on a scale not seen since ancient Egypt.

Pete
Hire somebody with the necessary lifts etc to get the stuff out of the basement and into a container. Then cover everything with plastic. Shoot a big load of expanding foam in and shut the door quickly. Ship to the location and put in a shop that is ground level.
Take a second job to pay for the heavy lifting moving etc. You will not regret this.
Wher are you moving this stuff from and to?
Bob AZ

My friend moved his shop from CA to MT in 2 40' containers. He had to hire a crane at each end to load and unload the containers from the flatbed.
His biggest problem was that he had too much stuff and had to off load some because it weighed too much.
--

Roger Shoaf

As a second thought you could just load the machines on to a flatbed. My friend needed temporary storage at the destination end so he opted for containers. If weather is a problem the load can be tarped.
--
Roger Shoaf
Or look for a trucker equipped with a 'curtain van' - basically a flat-bed complete with integral side winches and tiedown straps but with weather resistant fabric sides and a top. These seem to be gaining increasing popularity.

Pete, please forgive me if I am mistaken, but none of these machines weighs over 1,000 lbs, right? Hardinge TM seems to come closest at 900 lbs.
If so, if it was up to me, I would just rent a U-Haul trailer one way and load it with that stuff. You should get by with just a couple of dollies and a Harbor Freight two ton crane. You do not need to be a gorilla to load any of ths machinery.
Getting this stuff out of the basement is a different issue that I do not know much about. I carried a Powermatic 150 down the basement once, it was painful. i

Buy yourself a trailer for hauling, and then you can more easily buy more cool stuff too.
Bob La Londe www.YumaBassMan.com
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:40:38 -0400, Pete Keillor

Before you give up on a rented truck, do some serious checking. Because one company might have a surplus of trucks where you are and a defecit at the destination. If most of the moving is going the other way, you might be able to get a One-Way deal where they usually wouldn't allow it.
Or look for a third location that does have a surplus of trucks, and you can go pick up the truck for delivery to the destination city. Make a dog-leg that is shorter than a full round trip.
The reason it is betterto drive it yourself is that you know the driver will be careful with the load. Unless you know you can bolt that iron down in a shipping container or a semi-trailer bullet-proof, and it can go the whole way without someone tightening the straps after any hard bumps or unexpected lurches...
--<< Bruce >>--