Moving Shop

My wife is Australian and lives in NSW. Not moving for economic gain, in fact I'll likely end up with a simpler and less materialistic lifestyle, which is fine with me. Skilled tradespeople are still very much in demand and there appears to be a number of jobs available to me. Heading down end of next month to check out these possible jobs. Taking my shop as I might actually open a commercial operation there, or just have a hell of a nice hobby shop and tinker with restoring old engines, etc. Moving it all will be expensive, but probably half the cost of buying replacement machines down there.

And yeah, planning is a challenge. I'm still at the stage where every answer leads to 2 or more additional questions...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:34:13 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson scrawled the following:

Plus the fact that getting a large crane out to your house would be a major pain in the ass IF it could be done.

Grass Valley has the weirdest set of streets I've seen yet. I thought Vista, CA had winding streets, but yours are all narrow and _endless_. Then when you didn't tell me to look for a white painted 4x4, the sole indicator of your street, and directly across from was a REAL street sign, it became a real tough find. I'm glad I stopped there to turn around and call you when I stumbled across it.

Same here. It's always great to meet the person behind the posts.

Yes, it did. I picked up a bowling ball and will make it into a gimbal mount for the reflector telescope. How is the large mirror polished? Dismount and clean, then remount? I added the books to my

4 stacks of "To be read" books I'm working on currently.

Bwahahahaha!

Note to group: He got a "Lawyers and Hookers: For a fee, they will assume any position" tee. (shameless promotion below)

-- If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How expensive is buying a used container? I just passed a yard on the bay side of the I880 in Oakland that had a sign announcing containers for sale. I'm thinking of buying one. Owning a container would remove time constraints, allowing you to line up cranes, fork lifts, trucks on a slower time schedule which would allow make your moves when things are slow for the various trades involved. Then you could sell the container to recoup some of your losses or just keep it for storage.

Reply to
Cynthia McGraw

How expensive is buying a used container? I just passed a yard on the bay side of the I880 in Oakland that had a sign announcing containers for sale. I'm thinking of buying one. Owning a container would remove time constraints, allowing you to line up cranes, fork lifts, trucks on a slower time schedule which would allow make your moves when things are slow for the various trades involved. Then you could sell the container to recoup some of your losses or just keep it for storage.

-----------------------------

used containers are $1200 to $3000 each

Reply to
Bill Noble

Before you give up on a rented truck, do some serious checking. Because one company might have a surplus of trucks where you are and a defecit at the destination. If most of the moving is going the other way, you might be able to get a One-Way deal where they usually wouldn't allow it.

Or look for a third location that does have a surplus of trucks, and you can go pick up the truck for delivery to the destination city. Make a dog-leg that is shorter than a full round trip.

The reason it is betterto drive it yourself is that you know the driver will be careful with the load. Unless you know you can bolt that iron down in a shipping container or a semi-trailer bullet-proof, and it can go the whole way without someone tightening the straps after any hard bumps or unexpected lurches...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

40' containers, in good condition, can be had here in California for $1000-2000

Cash might be a bit better.

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You should try it while pulling a 1800lbs lathe up from LA....

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 04:03:05 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

20 and 40 footers are $4k here in SoOR, $3k in Portland, where most originate. It's disgusting.

Hell, you can buy $2k worth of Chiwanese goods and have 'em delivered in a free container for that matter.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 04:04:25 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

I much preferred the roads to your house, mon.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Many of the streets evolved literally from horse trails from the gold rush days, or logging roads. The area is laced with narrow 2 and one lane roads that can go for many miles. I've just had so much going on, I was a bit scattered. I -always- point out the funky street sign. Except when I forget... While rare, unfortunately for you, it happened when I gave you directions. If I ever make it up your way, feel free to give the 'scenic route' directions.

Well you don't want to polish the mirror. It's a front surface, meaning it's coated on the working surface. I stored it mirror up, but the dust shows that air sure circulates even in closed storage. What little I did read about cleaning telescope optics suggested mild dish wash detergent, and DO NOT use a rag or towel. There's enough info on the web regarding the topic to occupy you for an evening or two.

As for the Lawyers and Hookers shirt, I got to thinking, some judge might not like that and slap me with contempt of court or something similar. Would be great fun, but could be a bit on the expensive side...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 07:17:12 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson scrawled the following:

I'll steer you to Grants Pass via US-97 Klamath Falls, OR. and back to I-5 via OR-140. That'll fix ya.

I'm glad I haven't tried to clean it yet. I'd have wiped the coating off!

"Sorry, Your Honor. I do have another shirt in my briefcase and I'll change out of this one right now if you like."

One tip: You also might not want to wear it when searching for (especially while interviewing) a new attorney.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So do I. When I hauled an OmniTurn to Jons house....chuckle

Our experiences were similar.