Good Lawn Mowers

The Lawnmower That Refuses To Die is starting to show rust holes in the deck! Yay! We can ditch it! (we've had this thing for 18 years; for
about 16 of that it's been too hard to start for SWMBO, so I've been doing a lot of the mowing).
Now we live on a place that has a significant amount of grass on a 20-30 degree slope. It's too steep for our narrow-tread tractor (at least _I_ don't have the balls to go driving on it!), and the area is pretty sizable. I'm assuming that we want to get a self-propelled mower instead of a riding, because of the slope.
Anyone have any mileage with a largish self-propelled mower that works good on slopes? I'm looking for something that'll bag, but being able to take off the bag and just fling the grass when I'm opening up new territory would be nice.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott wrote:

Did y'all post to the wrong group? This is rec.crafts.metalworking, here we just weld or pop rivet patches on the holes in our mower decks and keep on going...
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:54:21 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Well, after I toss the rest of the mower I'm going to keep the engine for aluminum casting stock -- does that count?
Besides, y'all are a smart group, and likely to select a mower for it's ability to manfully cling to side hill, not 'cause it's a pretty shade of green, or because you liked the sales guy's long lashes as he explained the self-start feature.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

Well, I aint got no stinking lawn, but I got a mower. 33 HP John Deere Diesel with a King Kutter stump jumper. I reckon it ain't gonna pretty-efiy yer lawn, but it will cut just about anything. Even a contractor grade rubber water hose somebody left out front before the brush got to thick to find it. I gotta admit it did bog down a little when it found the garden hose for me. But it kept going. The next pass for the rest of the hose also found a 6" fallen branch laying over it, and now I know what real world use there is for field grade bolts. They use a grade 2 field bolt as a shear pin at the input portion of the drive assembly on the stump jumper.
After I put in s stock of field grade bolts I experiemented a little. It would chop up that log or the hose just fine, but sucking up both at once was just too much for it.
So, yeah some of us select our mowers for toughness and longevity... AND there is even some metal content in my post. So there.
Bob La Londe www.YumaBassMan.com

Kind of depends on what you consider a significant amount of grass. My neighbor lent me a zero turn walk behind mower with a 60 inch deck and a 18 hp engine. I don't have much in the way of hills, but I think it would do as well as anything on slopes. I would not want to cut more than four or five acres with it. More than that and I want to ride. Look on Craigslist and Ebay for zero turn mowers. I believe the one he lent me was an Exmark. But no bag. Not too many of the commercial mowers have bags, but there are some.
Dan

I forgot to mention that I saw a commercial mower today with a mower deck that was in two parts and hinged so each half followed the ground. I did not notice if it was a walk behind or a rider.
Dan

Or make new stainless steel decks to keep40 year old mowers going for another 25 or so.
Don't know if you can find one, but Gravely makes a line of commercial mowers. Quality like you used to expect. I have three commercial 12s, one with a 52" deck. I've never paid more than $1200 for a unit and normally got a lot of other attachments.
Karl

I have a HR215 HXA Honda. It has a hydrostatic transmission. You start it and then engage the blade. About 20 years old. I'll bet anyone who shows up with a hundred dollar bill that it will start on the first pull. Cost about $900 then. Now about $1200.
Like Pete says, this one has a patch riveted over the hole worn through by scrubbing the flowerbed curb.
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:53:51 -0500, aasberry wrote:

If I _liked_ the existing mower I'd do that. We bought it 18 years ago when we had a dead flat suburban back yard to mow; now I have a hillside that's (a) bigger and (b, snivel, whine) steep.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

You have the wrong solution to the problem.
Rather than replacing the lawn mower, replace the lawn with something like ice plant. It takes very little water, it chokes out all the weeds and you can spend your time doing something other than yard work!
--

Roger Shoaf

http://www.lawnbotts.com/lawnbott_manual/index.html
As the young folks say, w00t!
--Winston
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:34:22 -0700, the infamous Winston

FOUR GRAND for a Jewish lawnmower? Pass. <g>
-- If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
Larry Jaques wrote:

Look at it this way, My little robot vaccuum cleaner keeps the floor nice and shiny. I don't have to do anything but push the button and lift extension cords out of its way. (OK and empty the bin when finished.)
It doesn't steal stuff and so far, it costs me 82c a day (and falling).
I could enlist the help of an onboard supervisor and through the magic of camouflage, barely tell when he is doing his job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-jv8g1YVI

(OK, not really my cat.)
--Winston
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:54:51 -0700, the infamous Winston

What, $300 a year for that kind of inefficiency?
Q: How long does it take for a Roomba to clean every inch of a 10x10' room? It takes 5 minutes with my vacuum, going both X and Y directions for best cleaning.

Cuuuuuute.
-- If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)

Yeah but every day it cleans, it costs me less!
Billy Mays and I go 'way back. (Grin).

About 20 minutes. Who cares? That's 20 minutes I get to spend designing stuff or fixing stuff or making stuff! You know, Fun Stuff!
Plus, if I let it run for the entire hour, it cleans two more rooms. Whats Not To Like!
Honestly, if I were Electrolux or Kirby right now, I'd be chittin bricks.

That is a brave cat.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

I take it that black thing hanging down behind the saucer is what does the cleaning. :-) ...lew...
Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Well, half of the cleaning anyway. :)
Otherwise, how can I believe him when he says he's 'multitasking'?
--Winston
Winston wrote: about Rhoomba
We bought one of those a few years back. It threw a tread then the battery died, right before they sent us an upgraded smart charger.
Haven't used it since. Now I'm wondering if I should buy a battery ($$$$) or just buy the newest model.
Have they improved much in the last two years?
1. you can buy tread repair kits from a seller on ebay for $5 2. you can buy batteries from a different seller (actually 8 or 9 sellers) for $37 3. read the irobot site and see if the new features attract you - the very early ones had a cubmersome way of cleaning them - that is improved - they work and do their job - but note that the docking stations for the newer ones are just a tiny bit different from the earlier ones and a new one won't dock in an old station