Good Lawn Mowers

Bill Noble wrote:

I really like the 530. Just picked up two more of them as refurbs from the iRobot Outlet Store. http://store.irobot.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId(04607
They work great.
--Winston
Bill Noble wrote:

Ours is Pre-Self-Docking, so that alone is a big improvement. I would also like to see those "room barriers" in a smaller size.

OK, I've got a question for the Rhoomba owners. I think they are a neat idea, but our house has hardwood floors with big pieces of area carpet filling in most of the space in any given room. There's usually a 4" to 6" border of hardwood showing around the edges. The carpet is ~ 3/8" to 1/2" thick.
Am I correct in assuming that a Rhoomba can't handle the transitions from carpet to hardwood very well? I could unlease one is a room and move it and the charging station to each room, but at that point I might as well haul out the Sears-sucker canister vacuum.
Doug White
Doug White wrote:

The 530 does handle the transitions well for things like throw rugs. Even rugs with tassels, (though it can hang up on very long tassels).
For small throw rugs, I found that I can get a better cleaning job done faster. I just pick the rugs up and shake them onto the hardwood. It takes a few seconds each. The Roomba cleans up after me.
The 530 *does* vacuum, so you would probably be surprised how well it handles the hardwood border around your area rugs. Try it, would be my advice. If it doesn't work, you can always sell me your 530. :)
The unit was initially marketed as a way to lengthen the time between manual cleanings. I find that I can take a quick swipe with a moistened towel behind doors and in the odd corner to catch the few places our 530 doesn't access and I'm good to go.
We gave our upright vacuum cleaner to charity a couple months ago.

We have 'sunken' rooms too. I solved that problem by putting a 530 in both these rooms. Occasionally I will lift one of these units 3" into the main part of the house. It vacuums the kitchen, hallways, bathrooms and offices and stops at the end of the job.
Then I trigger the 530 in the garage. SWMBO was extremely happy at the lack of dirt tracked from garage to house! She mentioned that several times with a kind of awestruck wonder.
I was retrieving a pen that had fallen under the bed soon after getting the first 530. Glancing under the bed, I was pleasantly shocked by the clean 'polished' appearance of the hardwood. Before the Roomba, it *never* was that clean!
It is cool to have 3 robots cleaning the house while I go off and do something more entertaining.
Here is the bad news:
SWMBO's office and the hall bath door don't latch open the way my office door does. Our Roomba has a way of closing the door behind it in these rooms. Luckily both doors can be wedged open easily.
Vertical clearance *can* be an issue. We have one chest in SWMBO's office that is exactly the right height to trap the Roomba underneath. I expect that I will offer SWMBO a hardwood box for storing stuff under that chest to solve that problem.
Chairs can be an issue. Our Roomba spends a lot of time in the dining room because the chair legs comprise a real obstacle course.
I normally set up a 'lighthouse' to prevent it from going into the dining room.
Otherwise, I am a *very* happy customer and only wish that I bought them sooner.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Put a nickel under each leg?

OK, I'm sold. The usual commission applies?
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:01:10 -0600, the infamous Lewis Hartswick

No, that's just the duster.
-- If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:13:10 -0700, Larry Jaques

Wrong again. Grounding strap. YEOWWWW!
Pete Keillor
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:00:02 -0400, the infamous Pete Keillor

Knowing where it connects to the driver, that's a Roger!
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

For steep lawns nothing beats an old 2 stroke commercial Lawn Boy. They stink, but lubrication is not an issue. I know guys that tie ropes on them and pull them up and down banks you can hardly stand/walk on.
Well, your could take your "narrow-tread tractor" and add wheels to the rear, making it a dually. Just have to make some spacers -- good metal project.

Get a pair of sheep - low maintenance, automatic height adjustment, auto steering, recycles grass to motive fuel, conversational ability on par with most wingers, and you can eat them if they start plotting against you....
Andrew VK3BFA.
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:16:19 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA

True enough.

Blast - got that address wrong. Thank God it wasn't the launch code for a nuclear weapon. You can work it out Gunner . Here in Oz, lawn mowing sheep are usually called Victor, after a well know local lawn mower manufacturer.
Andrew VK3BFA.

Well, you didn't need to modify the post Gunner - I didn't specify right or left. (Not being paranoid, are you?) Extremists of both persuasions are a danger to us all......ignorance, prejudice,stupidity - neither side has a monopoly on them. Andrew VK3BFA.
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:20:40 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA

But we still like you extremists.
And where did I modify the post? You are one of the anal types who simply has to remove everything in some vain hope of saving bandwidth?
Gunner

You know where you modified it Gunner, unless early dementia is kicking in. And for the benefit of anyone interested (not many, I know) if you all read Gunners reply to my original reply to the post, you will see he has inserted the word "left" in fron of wingers...... Gunner, if thats the best you can do, the populace of America must be sleeping peacefully at night, knowing people like you are eternally vigilant...
Andrew VK3BFA.

Actually, we sleep well at night knowing that people like him are completely impotent.
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 07:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA

So please provide the original post. Ive been working in LA since Monday. It was Thursday night when I read your post and commented.
Addition of the word Left made the posting far more correct than the original version.
Gunner

Like one of the other guys (was it Karl?) said, an old 12 HP Gravely walk behind would work. I used to mow some pretty steep slopes with one of those. I had dual wheels on each side and a 40" deck. If the steering brake isn't worn out, it works ok. The newer solution probably would be a walk behind zero turn mower. The old Gravelys were all gear driven with a differential between the two big drive wheels. Once you had the dual wheels and anything wider than the 30" mower on them, you really needed the steering brake attachment to make them easier to use. Actually the old original 8 HP Gravelys with the 30" deck may do the job for you without dual wheels and they're very maneuverable without a steering brake. Now I use a Grasshopper zero turn for my 4A. The Gravely's been retired to winter snow blowing.
RWL
On Aug 17, 10:29pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET <GeoLane at PTD dot NET> wrote:

Actually, the ones back in the 40s were 5 HP. Then to 6.6 HP, then to 7.6 HP in the late 60s. No changes in displacement though - just cams and carburetors and compression - with a good dose of marketing hype - so the torque was all about the same and most people notice little if any difference in power. These were the Gravely T head engines, with pressure oiling - good on hills.
Dual or even triple wheels, or axle extensions, would be a real plus on steep slopes.
The 30" decks are the heavy bush hogs which aren't the greatest for finish mowing, but there are larger decks with multiple spindles which give great cuts. Or reel mowers, single or gang.
John Martin