Multi-purpose vise question

I recently bought a 5" multi purpose vise, it swivels in 2 axis.

It has 2 locks for the base swivel which I understand is a good feature.

The swivel of the vise itself (the other axis), has a gauge (better than none) but now what is bugging me is that it lacks a lock lever on this swivel. Rather than using a lock lever it relies on the vise itself to close and hold the swivel in lock.

Can you tell me if this is a luxary feature or did I just buy a cheap tool because I cannot lock the swivel position without affecting how hard I clamp an object? I havn't mounted it yet so cannot try it out too well.

I searched for many 5" multi purpose vise and it seems some has lock lever and some don't.

Thanks

Reply to
jeremy_ho

You're worrying a lot for a $40 purchase. I have one of those, use it a lot, have for 20 years or so. Mine locks only with the vise itself, and it has slipped a few times, but then so has the other swivel with its two locks.

Use it, learn its idiosyncrasies, avoid them. Every machine has 'em. It's you who has the skill.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Jeremy: After I saw your post I went outside and looked at my multi purpose 5" vise from HF. At first I thought it would not lock, but on closer inspection I saw 2 socket head screws on the back of the collar around the column. Sure enough, I tightened them down and the vise locked in position. Nice surprise. Look at the back of the collar around the horizontal column. If not, that is the place to drill and tap a lock screw(s). Good luck.

-Mke

Reply to
mlcorson