My Resume

*Makes fake plonk sound*

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

"Cliff Huprich" wrote

Okay, my turn to netkkkop:

| Yet another top-poster (that cannot properly

Yet another top - poster WHO cannot properly, etc. etc.

Glass houses, and all of that...

Pip, pip...

73,

S.L.

Reply to
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

The stock market crash of 1929 was a drop of 80% of the value of the market. The crash of 1987 was only a 25% drop in the market.

Herbert Hoover had the misfortune to take office in 1929. He didn't cause the crash, but he got blamed for it anyway. The speculative bubble of the Roaring Twenties had to burst, it was just Hoover's misfortune to take office shortly before it did.

Prohibition spanned 1920 to 1933. Elliot Ness, the famous FBI agent worked in Chicago from 1926 to 1933. He and his Untouchables did carry guns and did have arrest powers.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Elliot Ness worked for the Treasury Dept, not Justice.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

It's my understanding that the black tuesday event saw a large drop, but the market continued to decline for a year or so aftewards, and the total drop was about the same size, or larger, than the one day crash.

Jim

jim rozen

Umm so you believe in electing exclosively lying politicians? Uh whatever...

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

hamei,

The March issue of National Geographic was recently delivered to my door and it has an article on pollution in China. It seems your pals get about 75 % of their energy from burning coal. This produces 19 million tons of sulfur dioxide in the air ( the U.S. only produces 11). In addition, last year the Chinese added

1.8 million cars to their roads and if these growth rates continue there will be more cars in China than there are in the rest of the world today.

The water is even worse. Only ten percent of sewage is treated, factories are dumping chemicals and heavy metals into rivers and peasants are now using fertilizers that run off into waterways.

As a developing nation, China is exempt from international environmental standards.

Care to weigh in on this?

Fred

Reply to
ff

Heh, China is like the USA from oh, turn of the century to the 60s or 70s (when regulations took over). Or Europe even longer ago. Anyone for can't-see-the-nose-on-your-face yellow smog? :_)

I'm also reminded of the burning river...(where was that? Cincinatti???)...mmm, industrial runoff...

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Cleveland, OH, the Cuyahoga River, June 22, 1969 (The river in which one didn't drown but merely slowly decayed.)

Reply to
John Husvar

NO It was Cleveland. The Cuyohoga. (sp?) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

The river Ankh is probably the only river in the universe on which the investigators can chalk the outline of the corpse.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)

Of course, Ankh-Morpork's citizens had always claimed that the river water was incredibly pure. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys, they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)

The ocean waves may not be ploughable, but the crust of the river Ankh downstream from the city was known to sprout small bushes in the summertime.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

It is true that the undead cannot cross running water. However, the naturally turbid river Ankh, already heavy with the mud of the plains, does not, after having passed through the city (pop. 1,000,000), qualify under the term "running" or, for that matter, "water."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

"You know, I could run for governor but I'm basically a media creation. I've never done anything. I've worked for my dad. I worked in the oil business. But that's not the kind of profile you have to have to get elected to public office." George W. Bush, 1989

Reply to
J. R. Carroll

The only truly new ideas [the right] has come up with in the last twenty years are (1) supply side economics, which is a way of redistributing the wealth upward toward those who already have more than they know what to do with, and (2) creationism, which is a parallel idea for redistributing ignorance out from its fundamentalist strongholds to those who know more than they need to. Barbara Ehrenreich

A Conservative Government is an organized hypocrisy. Benjamin Disraeli

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Reply to
J. R. Carroll
***snip of yet more leftwing bullshit***

"If one is not a liberal when he is young, he has no heart. If he is not conservative when he is old, he has no brain." - Churchill

You are either young or stupid, which is it?

Strider

Reply to
Strider

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -- Sir Winston Churchill

How open is your mind to change, Strider? And do you have another subject -- besides illustrating how to be overbearing and obnoxious, that is?

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

|> ***snip of yet more leftwing bullshit*** |>

|> "If one is not a liberal when he is young, he has no heart. If he is |> not conservative when he is old, he has no brain." - Churchill |>

|> You are either young or stupid, which is it?

Young and Stupid are synonyms

|> Strider | | | |"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the |subject." -- Sir Winston Churchill | |How open is your mind

an open mind is an empty mind

| to change, Strider? And do you have another subject -- |besides illustrating how to be overbearing and obnoxious, that is? | |Ed Huntress |

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

How about if you change the subject, Ed.

Ed, you have been in my killfile for a long time. You aren't getting out.

Strider

Reply to
Strider

Cliff... Cliff.. is that you????

Mike

Cliff's Homework for this year: Cliff's bowl has a 10 unit/inch outside diameter and a 30 unit/inch outer circumference and a 5 unit/inch depth. The diameters have a .005 inch tolerance. And no Virginia PI does not equal 3.00000. So how does Cliff make this bowl?

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

ROFLMAO... Ed..what would we do without your sanity.....

Put up your dukes Ed!!

I was thinking about Cliff..... after reading that excellant quote... and his fanaticism for the "vast right wing"... fundies that threaten his being.. ... always dogging them...... like a little puppy tugging at rag.. pulls and pulls.. and pulls and pulls... can't chase the ball.. just pulls that rag till he can't pull no more.. then naps.. to get up and pull that rag again....

Mike

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

Stider.. Ed is one of the few people you will find in this newsgroup you can actually learn something from.... Keep Ed in your kill file.. and KYS..... Keep Yourself Stupid!

Later, Mike

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike