Mystery piece of tooling? Lathe?

I don't believe that this is intended to mount on the bed of your lathe. I think you have a form tool that is mounted into a tool holder for some
sort of screw machine. When Gunner gets back from dismantling America's industrial infrastructure, he can probably give you a better idea.
Paul K. Dickman

Add pictures here
✖
Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Yeah, that sounds right! I knew I'd seen stuff like that before. I also agree that if it fits the lathe bed, that is just a complete accident.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 31, 10:56 pm, Ignoramus14657 <ignoramus14...@NOSPAM. 14657.invalid> wrote:

looks like tooling for a screw machine. cutoff tool for a cross slide. to sharpen you just grind the cutting surface and rotate it a little in the holder to make up for what you ground off.
Pete
Add pictures here
✖

holding one of these cutters in hand; I don't see how it would work for threading. the angles are wrong, and the shown holder would have to have a shim to get the relief needed for threads. see United States Patent 3999265 the one I'm holding, 3" dia, .090" width cut, .3" max depth of cut with .2" max cut before the 45 degree chamfer starts cutting, is a full round disk with a slot ground into it to provide a cutting edge, has a threaded center hole for mounting, looks to be tool steel, machined, hardened and ground used it on a B&S screw machine - cuts off the part and provides leading edge chamfer to next part on one op
I've never seen a threader like this, but I can see how a few angles changed in the one shown and a cutter with the right profile it would be a threader.
Pete
Add pictures here
✖
I am convinced by responses on practicalmachinist, that this is a circular form tool. It it basically a cutter that cuts profile on its edge. When it becomes dull, a little bit is ground off from it to expose new surface.

✖
On Jan 31, 8:56 pm, Ignoramus14657 <ignoramus14...@NOSPAM. 14657.invalid> wrote:

Like so many things mechanical, it's a mystery to me, too. If the talent here doesn't offer a good explanation, you might follow up by hawking it on ebay, set the shipping cost high-ish. If you get a buyer, ask HIM/HER what it is.
Add pictures here
✖

    The "wheel" part is a threading cutter. It is resharpened by grinding back along a radial line, loosening the big nut, and rotating it to restore the radial line to center with the spindle axis prior to re-tightening the big nut.
    I'm not sure what kind of toolpost it mounts on, but certainly not on the edge of the bed as you have it shown.
    I'm not sure what the other bright metal piece is for -- but at a guess, it is an extra cutting edge to bevel the end of the workpiece so you can do two parts of the task with a single tool
    It would be interesting to see what it was actually supposed to mount on. Obviously, not the piston style quick-change toolpost which the machine currently has mounted.
    It might be for mounting on a turret tool -- but that would require a power feed for the turret, not the bolt-on bed turret that my Clausing has. For my turret, the proper tool for threading is a Geometric die head -- or one of the similar ones from other makers.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
✖
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 22:56:47 -0600, Ignoramus14657

<G>
I see Iggy has never seen a threader before
<G>
Gunner
Add pictures here
✖