name this cutter

I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that makes sense.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

T-slot cutter.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And if he wants one for woodworking, they're called keyhole cutters or bits.

or

-- Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously. -- anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

BINGO! its easier to find something if you know what to call it.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend asked:

Karl, I call them "end mills". The cutting body can be any length, and any reasonable diameter -- it's not dependent upon the shank diameter, except the shank has to be large enough to take the maximum cutting loads of the bit.

I have a fairly large collection of endmills with larger cutting diameters than their shanks -- like 1" diameter cut with a 1/2" shank.

But it really sounds like you're looking for 'slotting cutters', and a woodruff key cutter is one form. Check out

and search for "slotting cutter". Don't buy one there, just look. The prices are out of sight.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A fair bit of metal to remove: the slot is 0.100 deep, .800 wide and

2.0" long on the side wall of a big slot in 4140. Two per part, 25 or more parts. I know a woodruff would never hold up. I see they make indexable T slot cutters, I'm watching eBay now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend Inscribed thus:

Sounds like you want a "T" slot cutter !

Reply to
Baron

I grab every one I see in the second-hand bins because the straight-tooth ones are easily sharpened and they cut smoother key slots in shafts than

1/8" endmills do. Several appear to be custom-modified from something else.

They are thinner than T slot cutters and of larger diameter than Woodruffs, more like a slitting saw or side milling cutter on a shaft. Two were made by B&S and Pratt&Whitney. I've never seen them in catalogs.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd take a good bunch of them. I've got some narrow slots too. It would be nice to prototype this part and debug with cheap cutters. Not that I've *ever* crashed a $300 Sandvik face mill. Well, maybe.

Email me with what you'd offer karltownsendembarqmail.com

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have a cutter in front of me that's about 1-1/2 dia x 5/8 wide on the working end x 3/4" dia neck x 1" shank, and have a few more similar. If you're ready to consummate our teflon-for-drills trade we can throw a few of these into the mix if they'll work for you.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Sorry Ned,

My son took dibs on the drill bits. I guess I shouldn't have left them sit on the shop table.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend