Nanofoil

Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet?

-jc-

Reply to
John Chase

Anybody in rp got something to say on this?

Gotta get me some nanofoil.

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

Try asking in sci.materials. Interesting stuff.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

The Ni/Al intermetallic reaction is certainly within the bounds of pyrotechnics, but I doubt you'll get much feedback on rec.pyro - it's really more within the sphere of the military pyro field than fireworks. I suspect many applications there are classified.

There are lots of similar exothermic alloying reactions, or incalescences. The Pd/Al intermetallic is mentioned by Ellern. Both Pd-clad Al wire and foil are still made under the trade-name Pyrofuze. You should be able to turn up some information by searching under that name. You will also get quite a number of results by searching "exothermic intermetallic reactions." The Russians particularly seem to have done research on them, not only for pyrotechnic applications but also for powder metallurgy.

I don't think there is even now a very firm theoretical understanding of how these reactions work. McLain devotes Chapter XIV of his "Pyrotechnics from the Viewpoint of Solid State Chemistry" to them and proposes several mechanisms. Fischer and Grubelich provide an enormous tabular listing of intermetallic reactions and their thermodynamic output in a paper "Theoretical Energy Release of Thermites, Intermetallics, and Combustible Metals" in Proc. 24th. I.P.S. (1998, pp. 231-286), but even this is not complete, as it does not (for example) mention the incalescence of gold with aluminum, etc.

Reply to
Mike Swisher

Actually you have the concept. Make some. Have a slip roll ? some solder - what you are using - some bronze sheet - Silver solder or alloys are in sheet form. Gold and silver are already this thin - or close - pads are setup for art work - doors and frames.....

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

John Chase wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

| | John Chase wrote: | >

| > Soldering, brazing, .... Anybody heard of a price for this stuff yet? | >

| > -jc- | | Anybody in rp got something to say on this? | | Gotta get me some nanofoil. | | Doug |

--------- I rang up Alexander P Hardt 'bout this..... he put me on to his :-

Incendiary Potential of Exothermic Intermetallic Reactions Lockheed Palo Alto Research Laboratory contractor report LMSC-D177523

1971

As usual the my contact at the Bulgarian Embassy was able to pony up a copy. (The Bulgarians have an even better library of US Gov. publication than the Ruskies. Oiwever, for da "Cosmic Top Secret" and "White Night" grade material the ....... naw - sping will soon be here and I don't need to spend it in Cuba.)

----------- "Based on the thermal measurments of this study, summerized in Table IX, it was concluded that the following systems have the greatest incendiary potential:

-------

-------

------- Aluminum with nickel or with mixtures of the above."

From Table IX

NiAl [40µ/30µ] Heat of Reaction air 440 cal/g [Thus a good deal of heat is the result of oxidation.] do do argon 242 . Ignition temperature air 640o C. Average Reaction Temp 1700o C.

For comparison:-

Thermate TH-3.

1241 1247 600o 2940o (computed)

There is only one intermetallic reaction whose heat of reaction and temperature or reaction exceeds that of TH-3. 1226/1225/3000.

Reply to
donald haarmann