need 4-40 thumbscrews

I need 4-40 thumbscrews. Does anybody know a source in the united states or anywhere, that produces them and can post them out? I'd like lengths of 3mm 4mm and 5mm but length is no big deal, I can file or saw them down.

If nowhere in the USA or anywhere sell 4-40 thumbscrews, then can anybody point me to a place that sells thumbscrew-like nuts in 4-40, and the right glue.

note: even buying 4-40 screws from the uk is a hassle. Only

sell them and charge about $16 postage. So I just want to get thumbscrews from the US, rather than have the hassle of getting screws from the uk at extortionate prices and then buying the right nuts to make thumbscrews out of them. Better to just get it all from the US at an extortionate price - from postage - more reliable too.

thanks.

Reply to
Anon

Try

Chuck

They are in the McMaster catalog. Take a look there next time before you post.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

msc-direct.com

Reply to
Pete Sampogna

Reply to
John Ferrell

In addition to the other suggestions, you can make your own in the exact length you need by pressing on these:

Available along with the socket heads in the proper lengths from McMaster-Carr and MSC.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

cool, but i wouldn't have thought flux would be strong enough. + it contains lead so I guess that if you want to play it by the book, you're meant to wash your hands after you touch it.

"Wash your hands after using solder. "

Reply to
Anon

Not everybody in Britain deserves to be chided for not having heard of McMaster-Carr

Michael A. Covington

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:46:19 -0400, "Michael A. Covington" calmly ranted:

They do if they've been following the group for a month or longer. McMaster-Carr has been mentioned 3,380 times here, 29 times in the last month, 5 times this month, and at least twice today. ;)

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I suppose those intimidated by the presence of lead could use JB Weld.... Or even silver solder...

I was born in a much more hazardous time. We got our toothpaste in lead tubes, X-rayed our feet in the shoe store and even rode bicycles without helmets!

Now we are troubl>> I use these frequently on computer connectors. I make them by

Reply to
John Ferrell

I was probably a little harsh. It was only after rereading the post twice that I realized the poster was from the UK and might not have a McMasters handy. Plus my back hurt from walking across the office carrying it (:

Reply to
Owlmeat

See my other post on the thread.

Reply to
Owlmeat

Actually, I'd use silver solder or brazing for a job like that just because it gives a stronger joint. It is a real pain to have the washer snap off your homemade thumb screw when you're trying to loosen something.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:39:56 -0700, Owlmeat calmly ranted:

Yeah, I absolutely HAVE to make that dictionary stand so I can get the Webbie's Hernia Edition next to my office chair and off the floor. I'll beef it up to hold the MSC, McMaster, Lee Valley, and Griz catalogs, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Anon, I can Probably get these for you, here in Canada and probably at a reasonable price. If Interested, send me an E-mail and let me know the details as well as the quantity needed. Put the word "Electronic in the Subject Line" or it will go to my Junk Mail.

Take care........Gary

Reply to
Gary Lecomte

look up RAF hardware in Connecticutt or you can take some jack screws from any communications type "D" connector or rs232 conn. or any DB type conn and since they are usually made of brass, you can solder a piece of material to the end of it

Reply to
allana

Threaded posts could be fashioned into thumbscrews, no? ;->

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

I use these. (Don't have to stock 2 kinds of parts).

most recent catalog (TO43) should give you the current data. I can look straight at the text on the screen, but Google wouldn't filter on it.

Reply to
JeffM

I asked them "do you sell #6-32 and #4-40 thumbscrews in lengths of 3mm and 4mm?" they replied "We are unable to provide the size that meets your specifications"

Their catalogue only goes down to about 3/16"

who sells thumbscrews of such a small length?

Reply to
Anon

So you don't care about the length, and then you do care about the length as soon as someone points out a source, but the source has them long.

Sheesh.

Buy the length available, put a nut on it, file it off, take the nut off, & quit whining, Ms. Anonymous.

Reply to
Ecnerwal