Need air compressor

Personally, I think she should have bought him Taco Tenders. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I have done lots of blasting.. We had about a 150 gallon with a 15hp Toshiba 3phase motor. That thing could run at 140 psi all day long and there was never a pressure problem. If you needed to etch really hard rocks I sometimes went up to about 90 psi with. Those big compressors are easy to find on craigslist.

Reply to
daniel peterman

I'd say that 5 CFM would run that blaster OK, based on specs for a similar one at Northern Tool. Some 115 volt compressors can produce 5 CFM. Ignore the HP ratings, look for CFM at 90 PSI.

That blaster will be OK for small jobs. I have one like it. For future reference, TPTools sells their S-25 siphon gun for about $45. It will work on 4 to 8 CFM with the small nozzles, and it works quite well. I wouldn't tackle a trailer with it, but it does everything I want to do that will fit in a small cabinet. It works MUCH better than import siphon guns that look just like it.

More CFM is always a "good thing" with air compressors but more CFM = more $. A good shop compressor that won't be soon outgrown would be something that produces 10.5 CFM or better, which will be a 220 volt machine with 60 gallon tank. They can be found for about $400 new with a bit of shopping. Here's a 13.3 CFM for $499 at Lowe's

Here's an 11.2 CFM job for $439:

Either of these compressors would run the TPTools S-25 with medium nozzle, and for a little while with the large nozzle.

Reply to
Don Foreman

It may run, though I'm not sure how "nicely." A typical 5HP is going to draw

28A @ 240V, so while it may start the motor intermittently, it's likely to trip the breaker when running the compressor hard.

Also, I'm pretty sure this will violate the NEC's provision that the circuit breaker not be subject to more than 80% of its rating by a continuous load.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

See: "Impact Brush" at the bottom of the page

Oh, never mind...it needs AIR!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Go see the previous response - 'the wise guy' is a good guy, and he makes good wire brushes. Tom just forgets that some people aren't in on the Running Joke. (As we're all dying laughing and you stand there going "What's so funny?)

That's a baby one, the 5 HP compressor would be more than enough. You could get away with less for that particular use, but the 5 HP will satisfy the average home shop user's every need.

You could go buy a little portable 1-1/2 HP or 2 HP "Contractor Model" (*) and he'll be fine for a while, might even go several years

- till the first time he tries changing a tire with an impact wrench and has to stop twice on each lugnut to let the compressor build up air again. And a job that should have been sped up with air tools ends up taking longer than doing it by hand.

And he /will/ eventually get the itch for "More Power!!" and start lusting after all the goodies in the Binford Tools catalog - Trust me, It's a Guy Thing. ;-)

Then you're out the money for the little one and need to go get a big one anyway. Sounds counter-intuitive to me...

(* - Same selection rules apply, just smaller. If you want one that will live long and not be noisy while running, you want an oil lube belt drive compressor on a decent sized 15-gallon-plus tank. The direct-drive units are noisy and tend to not live long.)

You have several Home Depot's in the area, looks like Leominster and Marlborough are closest. Lowe's - Westborough, Framingham, Worcester.

There are also specialty companies that do air compressors, and they might have a clean used commercial duty unit for a reasonable price. Crack open the Yellow Pages.

Harbor Freight and other online suppliers don't have to be close, they can truck ship it to you. But clarify how you need it delivered while you arrange the order, the minimum they have to do (if they aren't told differently) is drop it off at the curb and you're on your own from there.

Make sure they know you don't have a forklift (unless you do, which simplifies things a LOT...) and if they need a truck with a Liftgate or their own forklift, a smaller truck if your area has weight length or size limits, or if you need them to take it all the way into the garage. The seller will know what to ask, and how to write up the shipping instructions.

(A 5-HP Vertical will need a tall Refrigerator Dolly and two or three people to move by hand. They are top-heavy, it'll try to tip over if you sneeze. I horsed mine around alone, but I also used a shop crane/engine hoist from the top and went reeaalll slllooww.)

(Note: I'm an electrician... I usually remember these things.) Anything over 1-1/2 HP needs a special circuit, but that isn't too expensive if you are anywhere near the power panel.

If you have to cross the whole house to get a new power feed to the garage, that can cost - but if you have to do that, bring across an oversized 50-amp line to the garage - even if you only hook up the compressor to it right now. The only cost now is the bigger wire.

Then when he wants to connect a welder or other heavy power tools in the garage, the heavy power cable is already going there in the walls/attic/basement. You have the electrician install a small breaker sub-panel in the garage, a bigger feed breaker in the main panel, and it's all done.

Plan Ahead. Much cheaper to do it once and do it right, than to do it over several times.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If you're considering used,

"The Tool Shed", 578 W Boylston St, Worcester, MA (508) 853-0590 Ask for "Al", he doesn't get compressors in often, but he should be very familiar with sources for tools in your area. He also does gift certificates, should that be somewhere you think your other half would enjoy shopping (assuming he's not already a regular). Note the slightly unusual hours: Wed-Sat 1-5pm (check the newsletter on the website to be sure he'll be open on any given Saturday).

Someone else mentioned CraigsList:

one might be a possibility:
maybe this one:
is like any other classified ad--there are good people and not-so-good people, keep your eyes open and trust your instincts.

Speaking of other classifieds: One of the more compreshensive used tools listings in your area is this one:

available at most convenience stores.

A little north for you, but may also have some possibilities is this one:

If you're only considering new, there are a TON of industrial suppliers and automotive equipment suppliers in greater Worcester. Some of the other guys here may have some better recommendations for individual places.

If you're willing to drive to southern NH, these guys might be a possibility:

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Don. the above link does not work. I wanted to check it out.

I found it finally by searching for item number S-25. I have a question. Do I need a cabinet for using it, or can I just use it by putting its siphon pipe into a bucket with media?

Ignoramus30651

I thought the wire brushes were the kind with a wooden handle and he was suggesting removing the rust by hand! So, I got that it was a joke; of sorts. It's even funnier now that I know there are brushes that are "powered" - who knew? Thanks for the link and the tip that wire brushes are good for flat surfaces.

As for the $10 game needing the $1000 computer - although I didn't know the sandblaster needed an air compressor, DH has been talking of getting one for some time now so it's no "handicap" but rather a boon cuz now he *has* to have one.

Fortunately, the trailer frame only has spots of rust unlike the tricycle and the plow thingy in the basement. That thing is a wreck. Both have lots of curves and angles as well as flat surfaces. Sounds like he can use both the brushes and the sandblaster.

Thanks, aga> > >> Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
flybabylocker

Reply to
flybabylocker

Ahhh, I see. I did notice the "maximum HP" in some descriptions and wondered about it. Is there any advantage to a gas air compressor over an electric one? We don't have natural gas so would need to get a propane tank etc., so electric would be easier from that standpoint. 'course if we got propane I could then get that gas log for the fireplace I've been wanting....

Boy, this sandblaster could end up cost>

Reply to
flybabylocker

About the only use its for contractors taking them to jobs where they have no electricity.

In all honesty, I think that a better idea would be to return that sandblasting gun and buy your husband an electric powered present. (like a 18v DeWALT drill or whatever). You are getting quite deep into buying complicated equipment, making these expenses essentially on his behalf, with the possibility of making purchasing mistakes that you would be stuck with. Imagine spending $100 on a compressor to find out that it is impossibly loud in operation. (which is what happened to my first compressor). Or $500 on a compressor that is made so poorly that it burns out as soon as the warranty expires (because it was overrated and lacking burnout protection).

It is awfully nice of you to want to make a present like this to your husband, no doubt, but I am not sure if going this big compressed air route is the right approach -- maybe it is better to buy some standalone thing rather than a complicated compressed air setup.

Ignoramus30651

Indeed it doesn't, don't know why.

Works fine out of a bucket as long as the media is dry. Get both small and medium nozzles and orifices because the small one gags on crushed walnut shells (AKA bird bedding). You have enough air to run the medium. Do it outdoors or you'll have a gritty mess in short order. Full face mask, please.

Differences between the S-25 and cheapo imports:

  • different pickup tube design
  • 5/8" ID siphon hose doesn't plug or hiccup
  • to change air consumption and blast rate you change both orifice and nozzle.

I don't know how it compares to a pressure-feed blaster because I've never used the latter. The S-25 does all the blasting I need to do. Anything I can't do with it is sent to Arctic blasting, whose "cabinet" is a barn with a silo for a grit hopper. Tawk about compressors -- lines into the barn are like jackhammer hose.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I think 21 or 22 amps is more typical for a non-industrial 5 HP compressor. Mine uses a GE Commercial motor, 5 HP, service factor

1.0, 21 amps, rated for continuous compressor duty. Zero problems running it on a 30 amp circuit.

A home shop compressor is an intermittent load but I don't know how NEC defines "continuous".

Reply to
Don Foreman

That's great. How much media does it use. Example, let's say that I want to sandblast, say, a 1.5x1.5x48" steel square tubing piece, how much media would I expect to run through?

Ignoramus30651

There ain't a shop guy alive that doesn't need or covet air -- plenty of air! Gotta have air!

Reply to
Don Foreman

The 5 HP motor that I am about to install into my compressor is rated for 28 amps, IIRC. I will need to upgrade its circuit.

Ignoramus30651

"Gas" in this context means gasoline engine. Good for portable use, not so good for shop use. Noisier, exhaust fumes, maintenance.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ignore the HP rating. Go by nameplate volts and amps for electrical considerations, and by CFM at 90 PSI for air delivery. Compressors vary widely in HP for given air delivery.

Reply to
Don Foreman

A product that I make. It has nothing to do with metal working, sandblasting, or air compressors. :)

Dave Lyon