need large reamer

need a source for a 51 mm reamer , prefer #3 morse taper shank

Reply to
williamhenry

I prefer working in metric, but sometimes metric tools are more difficult to find (at least, here in the US) and are usually more expensive than English units tooling.

With that in mind, 51mm = 2.008". So unless that 0.008" (0.2mm) makes a difference, I'd try a 2" reamer.

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

"williamhenry" wrote in news:ruyfe.7329 $ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Mapal makes reamers up to 300mm or so as standards.

have loads of distributors worldwide.

Reply to
D Murphy

unfortunately , the .008 matters ,

I have to ream 2.005 out to 2.008 , plus our minus .0002

looks like d murphy was today's hero

Reply to
williamhenry

Can you bore the part? RR

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Good luck, your probly gonna need it.

Suggest hone it.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Seems like a long way to go with a hone...?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They are available, but probably in MT4, not MT3. The job is to open up a

2.005 hole to 2.008. The method is determined by the volume. You can buy or make the appropriate reamer, but the cost will be around $200 plus time. If this is a short job, I would consider honing first or boring second. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Dave Hinz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

.003" isn't much for a 2+ inch reamer to take off. Honing or I.D. grinding would be a safer bet. Especially if it's a one part that has to be right kind of a deal.

Reply to
D Murphy

reply

this is to ream a sleeve that is 1045 material and 12 inches long , the sleeve is put in with liquid nitrogen for a .003-.005 interference fit

because the od of every sleeve is different , ranging from 2.780 thru 3.955, I want to be able to quickly and reliably size the bore in the field , I did mention this is being done in the field didn't I

approximately 60-80 sleeves

I am having the sleeves gundrilled oversize by .002 so the reamer should have a very easy life

got a couple of quotes today @ 185.00 each if I order three , which is not too bad

have to have the MT 3 as that is what fits in the mag drill

Reply to
williamhenry

I agree.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

But, didn't he say he had like 80 of these to do, in the field? That's a LONG way to go with a hone.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Check out Adjustable Chucking Reamers. For a example see page 90 of the online KBC Tools catalog.

A 2" is adjustable up to .055" and is listed at $330 for UK brand and $389 for US brand. I am sure any of the major suppliers will have something similar. It doesn't state what the taper is on that particlular size though. We are using these at present for a long run job on a cnc, but with carbide blades

Reply to
machineman

Not really. Depends on the stone you use and the finish you want.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

Perhaps a "pull reamer" with a pilot....go a couple thou under, then roller burnish..otherwise his surface roughness alone will make certification to

+/- .0002 next to impossible.

The whole deal appears to me as a leisurely drive down the road to failure....but at least he's taking the scenic route....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT