Need pointed in the right direction regarding custom work

I need a custom item made, and am asking for help in how to identify who could make it for me.

I would like what is essentially a stainless steel cigrette case. It would be hinged on the end (rather than the side, like most of them), and would be just large enough to hold a 3"x5" flip top memo pad in the interior.

I have looked all over the net, and have not been able to find anything in the right size or configuration.

Do I need to find a metalsmith, silversmith, machinest, or something else? I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BMB

Reply to
bmb

Sounds like Abrasha is your man.

He posts on this forum too. Lane

Reply to
Just Me

Sounds like Abrasha is your man.

He posts on this forum too. Lane

Reply to
Just Me

Sorry for the double post. I got an error the first time and didn't think it went through but obviously did.

Reply to
Just Me

This would be an expensive item to have made one off. But you could save yourself some money by making the two halves yourself and ahving the thing finished. I bet the thickness of the sheet will be pretty this to keep wieght down. If so, you can fashion out of a hard wood like maple a pattern that is a copy of the inside contour. Clapm a peice of SS to the block and use a another piece of maple to push the SS sheet so that it formes itself to the block. Do this by hitting the stick of wood while it rests against the sheet to be formed. Start on the flat and move down around the edges and if done carefully by not triying to bend the sheet all at once you shoud be able to form the SS sheet so that it fits the form tightly. I've done this with copper, aluminum, silver, and mild steel. Stainless Steel is harder than any of these materials but depending on how far the metal is deformed you shoud be able to get to fit the compound curves in the corners. That is if the corners are indeed rounded. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thanks for the idea, Eric.

What just occurred to me, how feasible would it be to modify an existing one?

I have found one commercially available that is apparently lacking in only one dimension. If anyone is interested it is the "Satin Side Wallet/Cigarette Case #16" on the following page:

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for a picture of it.

I have orderd one, and I should have it next week.

If I purchased a second one, would it be possible to extend the length of one by cutting both halves in half, and attaching portions cut from the halves of the second "parts"case in the miiddle?

This is beyond my capability from both a tool and skill standpoint, but how easy would it be for those in this group not deficent in those areas?

Reply to
bmb

Thanks for the quick reply, Lane, I may see if he is interested.

BMB

Reply to
bmb

Ditto

Reply to
wws

I think it might be a lot easier if darts were cut out for the corners. Then form the metal as Eric suggests, weld and grind the rounded corners. Much less shrinking required this way.

Reply to
Don Foreman

My advice would be to buy one (as you have done), determine the maker from whatever marks or literature accompanies the piece, call them and ask them what it would take to make similar cases to your specs. Obviously, they are already tooled up for the process.

Not easily. Probably not flawlessly.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner