PING: Gunner

I need some linear rail stuff. I need 4" stroke by 1" or so wide for a wire feed. I remember you saying that you might have some stuff. Can you list what you have for sale?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

DAGS, and don't forget Ebay if you don't find them here, Tom.

(DAGS = Do a Google search; IDAGS = I did a Google search, FYI)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, I have a bunch of stuff on watchlist at ebay but I know Gunner has a bunch of stuff...if he's in town.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hey, Tom, how did you come out on that wire feeding issue?

John

Reply to
JohnM

(top-posting corrected, ya ditz)

Hmm, I don't ever recall seeing him with those.

Say, have you installed 4 vaporizing laser cannons around your shop perimeter yet? That'll sure slow down the breakins, wot?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tom, Ive got a fair amount of linear way material and cars in lengths up to 18". Tell me how much you need, and Ill send you Stuff, gratis.

I also have some linear way/air cylinders, Festo stuff.

Damn..I wish you could pop over for a weekend..Id set you right up with Stuff.

Gunner

Gunner

Just got broken into AGAIN today at 4 PM. He/they came in after breaking a window 15 feet from the ground outside. I have walled-up most of the windows and have frates on others and these are the last...at 15 friggin' feet up. My armed guards are in there every two hours and use my rout as a training ground for the rookies as they are assured of some action.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Are you sure that you should not be suspecting your guards of some sort of collusion with intruders? It is suspicious that the guards are there so often and yet never caught anyone (AFAIK). It sounds a little bit funny to me.

Ignoramus6304

Wire feeding...the story of my life! I just got another flat wire brush design approved for a customer and that will outstrip my capacity so I have to duplicate the machine. The wire feed looks like this:

The rods are 1/2" to add some scale. I hope to improve the design as the "Nyliners" get eaten up fairly often,-every couple of months. Thus I will get some HD rail and truck set-up for the new one. And, I'd like to improve the one-way clutched pinch rollers because the spring load is too coarse and touchy. I already have a new cutter design that uses standard carbide inserts rather the custom made ones. I had hoped to make the new machine CNC but won't have the time, I'll retrofit it after I get all the CNC stuff built and running then just "bolt it on" ...remember I said that and laugh at me later.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hi, I just got another flat wire brush design approved for a customer and that will outstrip my capacity so I have to duplicate the machine. The wire feed looks like this:

The rods are 1/2" to add some scale. I hope to improve the design as the "Nyliners" get eaten up fairly often, every couple of months. Thus I need some HD rail and truck set-up for the new one. The stroke is a max of 4" with an adjustable stop. The wire fits in between two sets of pinch rollers on one-way clutches. One set of rollers is stationary, the other set moves on a truck with a 3/4"x5" air cylinder. So, I need to do 2 machines, 4" travel, maybe 1 to 2" wide track.

The old machine, 14 months old, makes a 5x10 row, with that brush and a 6x19 row round wire block brush we then make 4' long broiler brushes for accounts for 75% of my business now. The new brush is 9x12 row with a bid "D" shaped handle for cleaning grills in Restaurants. I have orders for 3,600 / month at $6.99 ea. EEEEEEE-HHHHAAAAA! They cost me $4 to make! So, what disaster will arrive to counter-act any shot at some profit?

I'd like to improve the one-way clutched pinch rollers because the spring load is too coarse and touchy. I already have a new cutter design that uses standard carbide inserts rather the custom made ones. I had hoped to make the new machine CNC but won't have the time, I'll retrofit it after I get all the CNC stuff built and running then just "bolt it on" ...remember I said that and laugh at me later.

If you ever "pop over" to Cleveland, I'll make sure you're fed, roofed and entertained (we could sweep my building for intruders!) I'll pick-up a case of "Mountain Dew". Smallmouth and Walleye fishing is great and my bud has a charter service. The museums here and the Orchestra are the best in the world...then there's the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame---Yawn

Reply to
Tom Gardner

No, I know these cowboys and they are mostly x-cops or moonlighting cops. The food that gest eaten and stuff stolen and the rest of their MO shows crackheads looking to score a rock. I DO believe that the guards would just LOVE to catch one of these guys(wink, wink), and almost has.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

(Bloody top-posting fixed yet again, damn you.)

Wow, they're so sure of getting food they're climbing the walls!

4pm, in broad daylight on a Sunday? Amazing.

I trust you've got a FREE account with the alarm company fidiots "guarding" your place by now, or at least I'd hope for that. I sure as hell wouldn't pay them for anything after a second breakin if they hadn't caught the perps.

So, got any idea who is doing this yet? Got pics? If not, why haven't the alarm fidiots installed something which will succeed in catching these guys? Have the other alarm companies approached you yet with a free offer if you tell your story in a TV commercial to show why you (and everyone else) shouldn't be using the current fidiots? Man!

So what all have you lost besides food?

Get those vaporizing lasers installed today, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, I'd have installed cameras on surrounding buildings (direct to Internet and 24/7 VCRs) to catch these guys on video by now. After multiple break-ins, why weren't ALL the windows alarmed by this wonderfully responsive alarm company?

I wonder if Tom is having police reports filled out every time the break-ins happen. If so, the DA could do some investigating and maybe find a trend of multiple break-ins with a certain company and/or one of their employees/installers/monitoring personnel...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Does the piece that carries the rollers make a stroke to feed a particular length of wire?

John

Reply to
JohnM

The second set of rollers slides back and forth to feed. With the one-way clutches, the wire can only feed forward until the truck hits an adjustable stop, about 3". Too bad the pix doesn't have wire in it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you have a copy of "Ingenious Mechanisms" look at the friction grip wire feeder on p427 of volume 2. I've built a couple systems with this type of feed and they work very well, except the wire must be very clean. Any wire drawing lube on the wire will eventually clog up the works. Both the machines I used these on were running clean SS wire, but even the one with medically clean wire would eventually seize up after a few months of running 24/7 and require flushing of the the accumulated lube.

That said, I at one time thought you could make a very similar feeder with eccentric hardened pins mounted on shafts, sprung to close. The ins would take the place of the balls and ramps, or the roller clutches in your case. Pull on the wire in one direction and it would tend to open the pins and slide thru; push the other way and the pins jam on the wire.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Interesting. How fast does this piece cycle? If it's not too fast could you use something like the cable puller pictured in the "what is it" post recently instead of the clutched rollers?

I can't believe you still got creeps breaking in, seems the law would be a little concerned and set someone there for a few days to see if they can solve the issue.

John

Reply to
JohnM

"> Interesting. How fast does this piece cycle? If it's not too fast could

The cylinder goes ball-to-the-wall and feeds in about 100ms, my window is

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This is your umpty-umpth inqury to Gunner on this.

I've also made honest inquiry to Gunner for advice on handguns. When I bitched that he didn't respond, he said he would if I addressed my inquiry to an email addy he cited. I did so. It didn't bounce. That was some time ago. No response. Duly noted.

I think Gunner has a lot to offer from his knowledge base and goody box, but he seems to prefer being very selective about to whom -- though he doesn't say so. I could easly accept that , all he'd need do is tell me overtly to f*ck off.

His promises to me have not been kept. He owes me absolutely nothing and I doubt if I offer any value to him, maybe I just don't understand "California promise" out here in Minnesota. Matter of fact, I do understand "California promise." Been there, done that, didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Gunner is clearly a "good guy" to his buds but I must regard him as a flake. I've tried enough times. Scrub, shrug and sigh.

From what I've seen, he's not a guy I'd want on my six. YMMV.

Reply to
Don Foreman

--snip of Gunner's simple, easygoing, Type-A+ life--

Consider going to a stainless flex fan. They're quieter, cheaper, and do as good a job as a clutch.

Reply to
Larry Jaques