Open vs enclosed motor for a belt sander

Just wondering if anyone in the group has any experience with or thoughts on using an open motor for a belt sander. This will be a home-brew sander, probably belt-driven, so I may be able to protect the motor to some extent, but not completely. Should I anticipate a quick death for an open motor in this application, or could I expect just a slightly shortened life span? Would a TEFC motor be worth the extra bucks?

Thanks. Bert

Reply to
Bert

If you can keep the vast majority of the dust off the motor, it would likely hold up fine. As near as I can see, the only real problem is the starter switch getting munged up. The rest of the motor is unlikely to suffer much. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes if you use the motor in question.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

TEFC is worth it in my opinion, but if you're trying to save money, shield the open motor as best as you can, and then blow it out regularly with compressed air. You'll be fine.

Reply to
AL

They last longer than you would imagine but a tefc is the way to go long term. Resist using compressed air when you clean, vaccum instead or split the bell and clean with a vacuum and brush. You would be amazed at how much crap you can keep out with just a piece of light flashing bent to be between the swarf and the motor. If you have to buy a motor buy a tefc, other wise use what you scrounge.

Reply to
bamboo

Reply to
RoyJ

For sanding wood or for sanding metal? For use with metal you might have to think carefully.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Bert

I assumed metal. My comments still stand.

However, your comment "Maybe I should have said belt grinder instead of belt grinder" is a little strange!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Years ago, when I bought a brand spanking new Craftsman radial arm saw, it quit starting about 2 weeks after purchase. I called Sears and they sent out a service guy with a little plastic disk that covered the starter switch in the motor. Seems that it was a recurring problem with that particular saw that sawdust would fill the switch contacts. Its been working fine now for over 17 yrs.

Gunner

Gunner

Strange? How so? From what I've seen, the terms are more or less interchangeable in the context of metalworking (yes? no?), but I've never heard "belt grinder" used in the context of woodworking, so I figured using the term "belt grinder" would have prevented any ambiguity as to the material being worked.

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Naw, I think you missed it, Bert. Belt grinder versus belt grinder. Aren't they the same thing? Had you intended to say something different?

Not picking on ya'---just having a little fun. I make statements like that all the time. It's nice to see I'm not alone.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

As long as the motor doesn't suck air and is properly shielded from the primary areas that accumulate dust...

Reply to
Dave

I assume you meant belt SANDER versus belt GRINDER. :) To some of us that dabble on both sides of the shop, sanders are for wood, grinders are for metal. (Even if my little 1"x42" belt sander gets regular use for metal.)

But if you are do> This will be primarily for metal work. Maybe I should have said belt

Reply to
RoyJ

DOH! Now that I have read what I actually wrote instead of what I

*thought* I wrote, I see why you thought it a little strange.
Reply to
Bert

Reply to
Bert

No smaller, surely. I think my Powermatic 6" x 48" belt sander has a 1 horse motor, and it's none too powerful if you're doing some serious sanding. Given a choice, I'd go as large as is practical.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos