Ryobi belt sander repair

I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.
My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?
Ignoramus20538
you forgot to plug it in.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader
"Cydrome Leader" wrote: you forgot to plug it in. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ After you plug it in, if it still does not run, try nudging the rotor slightly. That may seat the brushes or dislodge some dirt particles.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
OK, that sounds like a plan.
Otherwise I will take it apart and will go through it with a multimeter.
Ignoramus20538
R.Y.O.B.I. =3D Replace Your Old Beltsander Immediately
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com
"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
If it was working when it was put on the shelf, then I'd start with the switch and then the brushes. It's possible that accumulated dust has worked its way into the switch or perhaps the brushes.
Reply to
Upscale
I would start with the switch. I have a Ryobi (Craftsman) belt sander that wore the switch out just last week. It's a German switch that doesn't have very good dust protection so I'll be sealing it up better with some Shoe Goo. The switch literally burned one of the contacts due to dust buildup.
Reply to
Chad Schmitz
Spend some time with a blow gun first.
Lew
Reply to
Lew Hodgett
Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.
I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.
Reply to
LD
Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.
Ignoramus21710
"tricks" like plugging it in?
Reply to
Cydrome Leader
"Cydrome Leader" wrote: "tricks" like plugging it in? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Another "trick:" paying the electric bill. ;-)
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Pressing the ON button also helps...
Ignoramus21710
PM - Percussive Maintenance. Jeez, guys, did you never have TV sets in the 60s? /m
Reply to
Mark F
"SMACK!" "Try the other side." "SMACK!" "That fixed it, but it's a bit fuzzy. Try the tinfoil on the rabbit ears."
Reply to
LD
If its a Ryobi I'd be spending a lot of time swearing at it.
Reply to
evodawg
I tried, swearing did not work.
-- "You can lead them to LINUX but you can't make them THINK" Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586 Website Address
I am a Linux user since 1995...
Ignoramus21710
In 1983, my landlady didn't have cable TV, and in order to watch "The Thorn Birds" I sat and held an aluminum baking sheet at the critical angle to provide clear reception. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
LOL!!
As a child in the 1950s I too played Human Antenna.
"You'll just have to stand there and keep your hand on it until the show is over." "But I can't see it!" "If you don't stand there the rest of us won't be able to see it. We'll tell you what's happening."
Reply to
LD
"LD" wrote
Reminds me of that old Jeff Foxworthy joke.
You might be a redneck if you have two TV's on top of each other. One for the picture and one for the sound.
That was exactly the situation in one of my apartments in my youth.
Reply to
Lee Michaels