Need tips on building a brush hog

I'm considering building a brush hog; the kind you pull behind an ATV. It would be modelled after the Swisher Trail Cutter, which has a single blade/rotor, 44" cutting width, and 14.5 HP engine. According to Swisher's parts diagram, the engine has a 4" pulley and the blade driver has a 10" pulley (give or take a fraction).

I'm looking for a used 15 - 18 HP engine for my home built machine. They pop up on craigslist often enough. I'll buy Swisher's blades.

One area I'm not sure how to construct is the blade drive shaft, hub, bearings, and pully assembly. I'm thinking of using a 1 inch keyed shaft with two flange-mounted bearings, one above and one below the deck.

So one question is: Does a 1 inch drive shaft seem strong enough?

I would also appreciate a tip on where to get a hub that will attach the blade to the shaft, or some other means of doing that. I am not a machinist, don't have a mill, so I can't fabricate my own hub. I do have a drill press, angle grinder, welder.

Thanks.

Reply to
mark.lauritsen1

Swisher probably sells the hub assem. as a replaceable item.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Thee pop up at farm sales around here from time to time. Much cheaper and faster to buy then build on something like this. You will not be able to buy the steel for what they go for.

Bob

Reply to
bob_1fs

I looked into it. The Swisher parts are VERY expensive.

Reply to
mark.lauritsen1

They sell new for about $1500. I'm hoping to build for about half that. I have considered the price of steel. I haven't been able to locate a used one. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Reply to
mark.lauritsen1
1" shaft seems a bit wimply when throwing around a 44" blade in rough terrain. If it is not heat treated, I'd be looking at something bigger say 1-1/4" What is the hub/shaft size on the Swisher? The hole in the blade is a good place to start.

The farm stores sell the weld together assemblies that let you pick a shaft diameter and sprocket and pulley size, weld it up. Should be able to make a blade holder for minimal $$

If you are look> I'm considering building a brush hog; the kind you pull behind an

Reply to
RoyJ

Around here, "Central Tractor", or its equivalent, a generic farm/equipment supplier would have that. The Quill and bearings and shaft set might be generically available for your Swisher-knockoff.

Have you looked at Harbor Freight or Northern?

Flash

Reply to
Flash

Id go at least 2-3" actually