Welding a pulley on to a shaft

My generator head cooked and I would like to use the engine for a new setup however the engine has a tapered shaft and the new generator head takes a belt pulley instead of a direct hookup, I cannot locate a pulley for a tapered shaft so would it be feasable to "weld" a pulley onto the engine shaft? has anyone been successful at welding one on an engine shaft.thanks

Reply to
troye

That would probably be impossible to get to run true, and would probably cause the crank to fail or wipe out the bearings. See if you can find a rough bore QD bushing small enough, and have it machined to a matching taper. Lots of sheaves take QD bushings.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Reply to
RoyJ

Aiee! Don't ever do that. If you're stuck on a desert island and you need a pulley attached to a shaft to get off* then use JB weld, maybe. But don't actually _weld_ it.

  • pervert.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

What is the brand and model of the engine???

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If you don't have a lathe there are still a couple of ways to do this. If you still have the old generator head, disassemble it until you can get the shaft out, then cut off the end of the shaft with the taper. Find a pulley that will fit over that shaft. The guys at surpluscenter.com usually have a good selection... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Jeeze, good idea, have you been there?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maguire

Nah, I can't even seem to scrounge broken generators.

But the principle is simple: the easiest way to deal with oddball mating parts is to make sure you use _both_parts_.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford