Need wall wart recommendation

Got a Sharper Image background sound generator for sleeping. Problem is the 60 Hz hum. Sounds good off the batteries, but the wall wart sucks.
It's sealed, potted probably. Need a good, filtered,small and not ugly replacement. Less than 10 bucks and it's bought. Otherwise, I'll have to tear the sound generator apart, but I'm afraid once the 60 Hz is inside the case, I'll not be able to eliminate it. Any suggestions as to a good wall wart? oops, 6 volt DC, 300 mA.
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@frontierbrain.com (remove brain when replying)
On 10/10/2012 8:12 PM, Steve Walker wrote:

Any thrift shoppe, Salvation Army Store, Good Will Store.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:12:48 -0400, Steve Walker

You need a switch-mode supply - no 60 hz on the output because they run high frequency.
Quiote possible a 5 volt unit would do the job - one designed to power USB devices (5 volt 2 amp)
On 10/10/2012 07:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll second this advice, and suggest you find the local electronics recycler (assuming you have one) and rummage through their bin of warwarts until you find one.
You can tell it's a swiching supply because it will be smaller, and significantly lighter than a transformer-based supply.
Jon
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:56:26 -0700, Jon Danniken

And if it says 90 to 240 volts in (or something close) it is DEFINITELY a switcher.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:12:48 -0400, Steve Walker

Get a 9-volt 300 mA wallwart, follow it with an LM7806 linear regulator for 35 cents from Jameco. That will strip the ripple off. http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?freeText=lm7806&langId=-1&storeId 001&productIdQ297&search_type=mfgr&catalogId001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView
Steve Walker wrote:

Could try wrapping the feed through a toroid?
--
Steve W.

On Wednesday, 10 October 2012 21:12:41 UTC-4, Steve Walker wrote:

A BFC across the output would quiet it down, if you happen to have one kicking around, maybe 10,000uF/16V.
Don's answer is a good one if you're up for it. The adapter may actually be putting out more than 6V- the regulation on cheap wall warts can be quite bad. The only consequence with going too low is that you might not be able to get enough volume before distortion sets in (too high, of course, has worse consequences).
For $20 I might give this (or maybe you can find it somewhere else cheaper, I've bought 5V 2A ones similar to this for a couple bucks- I can also crack the case open and adjust the output voltage a bit, but I wouldn't suggest it):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProForm-6-Volt-AC-Power-Adapter/16472415
At least at Wallymart you could try it out and return it if it doesn't worth without shipping hassles.
Now, if it was me, I'd try it on a lab supply set to 6V, and if it sounds good, throw one of these in with my next Digikey order:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ETS060175SUDC-P5P-KH/T1032-P5P-ND/1887237
I'd also stick a P-touch label on it as soon as it crosses the threshold, so any advancing senility won't lead to doing something inappropriate with it in the future.
--sp
Perhaps think in another direction. Buy rechargable batteries for the sound generator.
You might buy a dozen wall warts, and not get a good one.
Got a Sharper Image background sound generator for sleeping. Problem is the 60 Hz hum. Sounds good off the batteries, but the wall wart sucks. It's sealed, potted probably. Need a good, filtered,small and not ugly replacement. Less than 10 bucks and it's bought. Otherwise, I'll have to tear the sound generator apart, but I'm afraid once the 60 Hz is inside the case, I'll not be able to eliminate it. Any suggestions as to a good wall wart? oops, 6 volt DC, 300 mA.
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@frontierbrain.com (remove brain when replying)
Steve Walker wrote:

Digi-key has a wide assortment of quality wall warts and line lumps.

Wally world has a number of variable voltage substitute power boxes. The one I have came with about a dozen different tips, is a switching unit, not a brute-force tranny and diode thing, is flat and the prongs fold for carrying around. Have several that power various items. The switching feature will take care of your 60-cycle unless it's picking that up from a flourescent or something. More than $10 though, want cheap, you get cheap...
Stan