Buying new servos from unauthorized dealers?

I need to buy a new 750 watt Mitsubishi servo and amplifier and the list price for both is around $2k. They are available new at substantial savings from dealers on Ebay and the Internet, usually shipping from Asia, but the discounters are unauthorized dealers. One of the dealers has a local office near me here in Illinois but ships from Malaysia and he is my1st choice at the moment.

What sort of problems might be expected when buying from someone like that or is it a totally bad idea?

Reply to
Anonymous

Anonymous fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've had two different experiences with Chinese suppliers besides being happy with the product. One was the product was a counterfeit, and only bore the brand name to fool the buyer. The other was that the equipment was used, and was "cleaned up" to appear new.

Honestly, most of the time I have been happy. But if you get ripped off with a counterfeit $2K part, you really get ripped off bad.

Surprisingly, the "no-name" or "Shin-Wa-Fuh-Kew" type parts have turned out to be mostly good deals. You'll never hear of the brand again almost as soon as they sell to you, but it will show up with a different badge a couple of months later, the same bolt-for-bolt, except for the glue-on logo plate.

LLoyd

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks Lloyd. Do you suppose the chances of a good buying experience might be better if the vendor has an office here in the States? The office is actually within driving distance, but I'm not sure if that would help in case of a problem. They'll take PayPal in addition to credit cards. Can't find anything on the BBB about them.

A couple of other vendors sell on Ebay where there is a bit more buyer protection, but I really just want a good, new motor and drive.

Mike

Reply to
Anonymous

Anonymous fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know. I'd use a payment method that has some protections for the buyer.

But $2K for one servo and drive? How big is this thing? I got a nice set of two TECO DC servos and drives from AutomationDirect about a year ago for a lot less than that (sized for a lathe, so your milage may vary).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

$2k is the list price for a 0.75 kW drive and amp; the price from NexInstrument is about $1300. This is for a indexer/lathe head where I need to be able to use the same motor for slow and relatively high speed operations. Threading ability is important and the Mitsbishi drive has an auto-tuning feature that should be beneficial for varying loads:

Mike

Reply to
michaelhenry