New knife

13 1/4" overall length, 7" of sharp cutting edge (though it could stand to be ground steeper... the hell with it, all that manual labor!). Pretty weighty (all solid construction, haven't weighed it) so seems good for chopping.

Yes I had to cut an ugly-ass notch in the handle (made of 25% Zn brass plus maybe 5% lead and tin) to fit the blade tang, since my as-cast core didn't work quite right. Still needs some other finishing work, though it could be acceptable in the current dirty condition.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Very cool.. Did you leave the tip squared off just so it wouldn't be pointy in a bad way? What alloy do you have?

I like a drop-point knife, there's times when you need that point and I prefer it to be tougn.

For the next one, pound out some Damascus from steel banding- I think that'd make a very nice blade.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Was thinking of pulling the diagonal down to make a sharp tip actually. I forget what the blade was, a chisel or something. Probably 1080 or so.

Haven't had some in a while, but isn't that like 1040-1060 or so? Would at least need to be carburized then.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

I love the appearance oif that beastie!

Just like some ladies I've been pleased to know, it has that "lived in look".

And, backgrounding it with schematics which combine semiconductors with triode vacuum tubes adds penache to the overall "retro" appearance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You could nick the edge back for a tanto tip..

I've made scrapers from old wood chisels, nice steel in some of them.

It's pretty soft as is but I thought it had a goodly carbon content.. maybe it is just soft stuff, if so there might be little to be done with it. There's a lot of cool sources for edged tools that if one weren't ideal just try something else; some piston rings seem interesting, steel cable, spring steel, the shifting stick in out of a pickup or truck transmission, files, etc. I've got some interesting stuff, I was told it was a low carbon spring steel. It's strange to forge, it seems to get pretty soft around 900F and then harder again up to around 1500F (if I try to bend it, it'd rather bend back where it's not red).. Tough stuff, someday I'm going to make a blade from it. Tried a piece for a cutting tool in the lathe- fuel oil quench with no temper worked pretty good..

John

Reply to
JohnM

Pick up a few used power hacksaw blades. They make excellent knives.

Gunner

Gunner

That's a good one I've not thought of.

John